Women's tennis starts spring season by beating Colby
The Hamilton College women’s tennis team opened the spring portion of its season with a 7-2 win over NESCAC rival Colby College on Saturday at Hamilton’s Margaret Bundy Scott Field House.
The Continentals (6-0, 1-0 NESCAC) swept the doubles competition and won four of six singles matches to remain undefeated on the year.
Isabella Schoning ’16 and Winnie Tang ’17 picked up two wins apiece, teaming for an 8-6 win at second flight doubles before sweeping their singles opponents at the second and fourth flights, respectively. Schoning was making her first appearance of the year while Tang improved to 7-2 in singles play.
The pairing of Claire Keyte ’17 and Mira Khanna ’15 improved to 5-0 on the season with an 8-1 third flight doubles victory. Khanna was a winner at first flight singles, winning in a third-set super-tiebreaker.
Liz Detwiler ’15 and Carrie Uhlein ’15 were 8-1 winners at first flight doubles and Rachel Friedman '15 raised her record to 7-2 by winning 8-2 at fifth flight singles.
The Continentals play the first of their five spring break matches on Tuesday, March 17, facing Franklin & Marshall College and Goucher College in Orlando, Fla.
HAMILTON 7, Colby 2
1. Liz DETWILER/Carrie UHLEIN (HAM) def. Erica Talamo/Bogo (COL) 8-1
2. Bella SCHONING/Winnie TANG (HAM) def. Maddie Lupone/Danielle Levine (COL) 8-6
3. Claire KEYTE/Mira KHANNA (HAM) def. Katie Ryan/Annie Morris (COL) 8-1
1. Mira KHANNA (HAM) def. Erica Talamo (COL) 6-4, 3-6, 10-4
2. Winnie TANG (HAM) def. Bogo (COL) 6-1, 6-1
3. Maddie Lupone (COL) def. Claire KEYTE (HAM) 6-4, 6-4
4. Bella SCHONING (HAM) def. Jamie Au (COL) 6-0, 6-2
5. Rachel FRIEDMAN (HAM) def. Danielle Levine (COL) 8-2
6. Katie Ryan (COL) def. Liz DETWILER (HAM) 8-5
Colby 3-3, 0-1 NESCAC; Hamilton 6-0, 1-0 NESCAC