This list is also for Giant Combo trips.
If you have any questions about anything on this list, please don’t hesitate to phone Andrew Jillings or one of the interns at 315-859-4272.
Pack these items in your backpack or a separate duffel bag, if you are renting a backpack for your trip. You will need to bring these items to your trip meeting your first night on campus and will not have time to repack. Therefore please keep these items in their own easily accessible bag.
Trip list (backpack)
No cotton (except maybe t-shirts and undies!)
- Whistle - this is essential for wilderness safety
- *Backpack (a frame pack of at least 4000 cubic inches)
- 3 t-shirts
- 1 warm fleece top (see our website for an explanation)
- 1 synthetic thermal long sleeve top (see our website for an explanation)
- 2 pr. shorts (quick drying soccer-type shorts are best)
- 1 pr. synthetic thermal bottoms or running tights (see our website for an explanation)
- 4 pr. underwear
- 5 pr. socks (3 wool, 2 athletic nylon, no cotton.)
- 1 pr. sneakers (they will get wet and muddy)
- 1 pr. high top hiking boots; leather, or nylon uppers with GORE TEX lining
- 1 bathing suit
- *Rain jacket (no ponchos please)
- 1 or 2 bandanas
- 1 lightweight brimmed hat (baseball hats work)
- 1 wool or fleece hat (like for skiing, etc.)
- Toiletries (toothbrush & travel toothpaste, contact solution, tampons, etc.) Keep it small! No glass containers.
- Fork and spoon
- Plastic bowl and mug
- Pocket knife (Swiss Army or Leatherman-type)
- Lighter or waterproof matches
- Extra glasses or extra contacts
- Safety strap for glasses or sunglasses
- Sunglasses, chapstick, sunscreen (SPF 15 to 30)
- Insect repellent; small plastic bottle-no cans
- Any required medication(s)
- Headlamp or small flashlight with extra batteries
- *2, quart sized/1 liter water bottles (Gatorade bottles work great!)
- *Foam sleeping pad or Therm-a-Rest
- *Sleeping bag, lightweight rated to 35F (synthetic mummy bags, no cotton content)
- 2 large heavy duty plastic garbage bags/ bin bags
- Small daypack or book bag for day hikes
Optional items for trip packing list
- Doctor Bronner’s soap (it’s biodegradable and comes in handy small plastic bottles)
- Very small towel
- Silva type compass (bring it if you have it)
- Small musical instrument
- Stuff sacks (various sizes for gear)
- Rain pants
- *Gaiters (required for Sewards Range trip, strongly recommended for Grand Traverse)
* These items are available for loan. If you requested one of these items in the registration process we will have it waiting for you when you arrive. Please contact us if you need to change your request.
DO NOT BRING: CELL PHONES, ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, DRUGS, TOBACCO/NICOTINE PRODUCTS, EXTRA FOOD, JEWELRY, MISOGYNY, SPEAKERS, MAKE-UP, PERFUME ETC.
Director of Outdoor Leadership