If you have any questions about anything on this list, please do not hesitate to phone Andrew Jillings or one of the interns at 315-859-4272.
Pack these items in a separate duffel bag. You will need to bring these items to your trip meeting your first night on campus and will not have time to repack. Therefore, please keep these items in their own easily accessible bag.
Pack all this in a duffel, backpack or whatever you like, we will give you a dry bag to carry it in for your trip.
No cotton (except maybe t-shirts and undies)!
- Whistle – this is essential for wilderness safety
- 3 t-shirts
- 1 warm fleece top (see our website for an explanation)
- 1 synthetic thermal long sleeve top (see our website for an explanation)
- 2 pr. shorts (quick drying soccer-type shorts are best)
- 1 pr. synthetic thermal bottoms (see our website for an explanation)
- 3 pr. underwear
- 5 pr. socks (3 wool, 2 athletic nylon)
- 2 pr. sneakers (they will get wet and muddy)
- 1 pr. sport sandals with heel strap (cheap, no flip-flops!)
- 1 bathing suit
- *Rain jacket, no ponchos
- 1-2 bandanas
- 1 lightweight brimmed hat (baseball hats work)
- 1 wool or fleece hat (like for skiing, etc.)
- Toiletries (toothbrush & paste, contact solution, tampons, etc.) Keep it small! No glass containers.
- Fork and/or spoon
- Plastic bowl and insulated mug
- Pocket knife (Swiss army or Leatherman-type)
- Lighter or waterproof matches
- Extra glasses or extra contacts
- Safety strap for prescription or sunglasses
- Sunglasses, chapstick, sunscreen (SPF 15 to 30)
- Insect repellent; small plastic bottle-no cans
- Any required medication(s)
- Small headlamp or flashlight with extra batteries
- 1 carabiner (small, cheap and from the hardware store is fine)
- 2 quart sized/1 liter water bottles (any old water bottle will do)
- *Foam sleeping pad or Thermarest
- *Sleeping bag, lightweight rated to 35F (synthetic mummy bags, no cotton content)
- 2 large heavy-duty plastic garbage bags
- Small daypack or book bag for day hikes
- 30 feet of 1/4 in. nylon line (hardware store washing line is fine)
Optional items for trip packing list
- Doctor Bronner’s soap (it’s biodegradable and comes in handy small plastic bottles)
- Very small towel
- Silva type compass (bring it if you have it)
- Small musical instrument
- Stuff sacks (various sizes for gear)
- Rain pants
* These items are available for loan. If you requested one of these items in the registration process we will have it waiting for you when you arrive. Please contact us if you need to change your request.
DO NOT BRING: ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, DRUGS, CIGARETTES, TOBACCO, CELL PHONES, FOOD, JEWELRY, RADIOS, iPODS, MAKE-UP, PERFUME ETC.