Administrative Job Opportunities
Director of Investments
Hamilton is one of the nation's top liberal arts colleges. It is independent, highly selective, coeducational and residential. Originally founded in 1793 as the Hamilton-Oneida Academy, Hamilton is today composed of 1,850 diverse and talented students from nearly all of the 50 states and approximately 40 countries. More information can be found at www.hamilton.edu/about.
Hamilton is seeking a Director of Investments to become a member of the small team responsible for managing the College’s $774 million investment portfolio. It is a new position reporting to the Chief Investment Officer (CIO) and will be located in Clinton, NY. Given the small size of the staff, the Director will be a generalist working closely with both the CIO and Investment Analyst/Operations Manager on all aspects of the portfolio. The Director should be an independent thinker who can participate in asset allocation discussions and risk management efforts, analyze complex investment strategies and have a willingness to make well supported recommendations that are clearly expressed. Attention to detail and being a self-starter able to work both independently as well as part of the team are important considerations.
Hamilton’s endowment is integral to the success of the College, providing approximately 25% of the revenue required to support the College’s programs. The portfolio is complex and invested across a broad range of asset classes/ investment strategies ranging from publicly traded equities in developed, emerging and frontier markets to catastrophe reinsurance. There are investments with approximately 35 different investment managers. The Investment Office is also responsible for overseeing investment of just under $100 million of the proceeds from a “century bond” issued by the College in April of this year. This pool has been invested with six investment managers in a portfolio designed to provide a high current yield while hedging against a rise in interest rates. The College does not retain an investment consultant but instead conducts asset allocation studies, sources investment ideas and performs manager due diligence and reviews itself. The Investment Office’s recommendations are reviewed and approved by the College’s Investment Committee which is an important source of investment ideas and advice. The Committee has broad investment management experience and the Director will have extensive exposure to the members.
- Participate in and conduct asset allocation studies and reviews using software provided by an outside vendor.
- Qualitatively and quantitatively analyze and monitor risk at both the portfolio and manager level.
- Evaluate new investment opportunities and conduct due diligence activities for current and prospective managers.
- Review current strategies’ and managers’ performance and make recommendations for change when appropriate.
- Perform special studies as required.
- Monitor unfunded commitments to existing managers and funds as well as the College’s spending draw.
- Prepare reports and materials for presentation to the Investment Committee.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with individual managers, consultants, brokers and custodians as necessary.
- Work with other departments at the College as required.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree at a minimum; MBA in Finance or CFA designation preferable.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience with an endowment, foundation, plan sponsor, investment consultancy, family office or investment management firm.
- Relevant experience should include familiarity with portfolio theory and risk-adjusted performance measurement techniques.
- Passion for investments including knowledge of economic factors and alternative investments.
- An interest in private investments, hedge funds, real estate and commodities.
- Good quantitative, organizational and communication skills are required with an attention to detail.
- Proficiency with basic software tools such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint. In addition, database knowledge would be a plus.
Please review Hamilton's Benefits Summary for more information.
Interested applicants should send a resume, letter of interest and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Hamilton College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and encourages diversity in all areas of the campus community.Posted 10/10/2013