Edwin D. Erickson
Assistant Professor of Biology, 1969-1973
Edwin B. Erickson, an assistant professor of biology at Hamilton from 1969 to 1973, was born on May 18, 1938, in Philadelphia. He earned his bachelor’s degree in biology and chemistry from Albright College in Reading, Pa., in 1960 and taught general biology, anatomy and physiology, cell physiology, and zoology at Drexel University and East Stroudsburg State College from 1962 to 1969.
After earning his Ph.D. in biochemistry and microbiology from Bryn Mawr College, Erickson joined the Hamilton faculty in 1969. He spent the next five years on the Hill teaching microbiology, biochemistry, and general biology. A member of the Army Science Board, he also served as an advisor to the U.S. Army on scientific and technological matters.
Following his departure from Hamilton, Erickson served as director of public health and later as chief administrative officer of Upper Darby Township in Pennsylvania. He was elected to the Delaware County Council in 1982 and served two years as chairman. Later he served as a regional administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and as executive director of Delaware County.
In 2001, Erickson won a special election to the Pennsylvania Senate. He was a member of numerous caucuses and served as majority policy chair from 2010 to 2014, the year he retired.
Edwin B. Erickson died on Jan. 7, 2019, at the age of 80. He is survived by his wife, the former Kathy Abele, a son, and three grandchildren.