Call 315-859-4340 and press option 2 to speak with a counselor 24/7/365
If you want off-campus help, call 1-800-372-TALK or text “START” to 741-741
Creative Art Therapy Space
This space is available:
Wednesdays: 9-11:45 a.m. & 1:30-4:15 p.m.
Thursdays: 3-4:15 p.m.
Fridays: 1:30-4:15 p.m.
Why Creative Art Therapy?
The intense concentration that goes into creative acts is meditative. The difference between creative art therapy and art proper is that the goal is to be present in the experience of creating rather than on the outcome. To let the mind wander and explore while your hands are busy creating. To take a non-judgmental stance toward yourself and to delight in the things that you brought into creation.
How do I access this space?
Check-in with our Office Manager and let her know that you want to use the Creative Art space. You are welcome to come on your own or with friends during open hours and no reservation is needed. We have comfy couches, floor space, and a large table, so you can spread out and have your own space. Feel free to bring music that calms you, help yourself to a warm beverage, and enjoy utilizing the creative art supplies available to you.
What Art Forms Are Available?
- A Buddha Board, which allows you to create disappearing art with water.
- Zentagle, which is an art form that allows you to create in the moment and will teach you that like in life we all go through different phases, but that these are the moments we must work through to create something that complex and beautiful.
- Mindful Coloring, which will allow you to unwind by feeling the colored pencils trace against the paper and be delighted by the colors and patterns that appear.
- Sculpting Clay, which allows you to connect with your sense of touch as you create shapes, figures, orlittle creatures out of dough.
- Sketching, Drawing, and Doodling allows you to create things from your imagination and put a little space between you and your stress.
We provide all necessary materials as well as directions and guidelines for beginners. Take your art, toss it, or leave it for others to enjoy. It’s up to you!