Tips for Zooming
Are you looking for ways to make your virtual conversations with medical or mental health providers more private? Do you struggle with finding a quiet space?
Like many providers across the country, we are providing both in-person and virtual services. One of the challenges on a residential campus, though, is finding space to have private conversations. Some helpful tips to enhance your use of zoom or any telehealth platform are below.
You can also book soundproof booths in the Library! Reserve Booth 1 or Booth 2.
Call 315-859-4340 and press option 2 to speak with a counselor 24/7/365.
If you want off-campus help, call 1-800-273-TALK or text “START” to 741-741.
- Find your comfort zone. Is your room the most comfortable spot to relax and talk openly? Would you rather sit at your desk or snuggle up on your bed? Perhaps the library or a study room would work best for you. Aim to make your therapy time as comfortable as possible.
- Communicate openly. If your room is the place you feel most comfortable, talk with your roommate/suitemates about the need for a “private hour.” Give them an hour back! This is good practice for self-care, regardless of your therapy needs, as everyone needs their own space and downtime.
- Use technology to your advantage. Wear headphones/earbuds for extra privacy. For less distractions, turn off texts and notifications — it’s distracting to you and your therapist and creates a calmer virtual environment.
- Give yourself some time. Make space to reflect and regroup after your session. The beauty of virtual therapy is there's no waiting room to walk through and no immediate demands to “enter the world” after your session. Try not to schedule anything right after your session to help ease back into the day.
- Schedule a private room. Did you know students can reserve rooms? You can reserve your own room with choices across campus using 25Live. Here are step-by-step instructions on how to do that! You can also book soundproof production booths in the Library! Book Booth 1 or Booth 2.
- Reserve a noise machine. Along with our usual happy lamps and weighted blankets, we will now be offering noise machines to help create a private environment wherever you choose to do your therapy. These machines are often used in therapy settings to help maintain privacy. Contact our Office Manager for details.