Kitchen Fire Safety
Did you know?
- 85% of university housing fires are cooking fires.
- Unattended cooking is by far the leading contributing factor in college cooking fires.
- There are more than 3,000 university cooking fires each year.
- Microwave popcorn fires are a common occurrence with college students.
Visit www.usfa.fema.gov/college to learn more.
What can you do?
- Stay with your food while cooking.
- Keep cooking area clean and decluttered.
- If grease fire starts in a pan, put a lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Never pour water on a grease fire and never discharge a fire extinguisher onto a pan fire, as it can spray or shoot burning grease around the kitchen, thus spreading the fire. Pull the fire alarm.
- If a fire starts in a microwave, keep the door closed.
- Double check the kitchen before you leave, make sure everything is turned off.
- Barbecue grills must only be used outdoors.
- Only cook when sober.
In the event of a fire, pull the fire alarm, turn off appliances (if possible) and evacuate the building immediately.
With your help, we can have a safe, fire-free campus!
Important phone numbers
- Campus Safety: 315-859-4000
- Community Living: 315-859-4023
- Fire Safety: 315-859-4971