Workshops and Programs
The following workshops are presented periodically throughout each semester. Check HamNet for upcoming dates. If you would like one of these workshops presented for your organization, please contact Janine Oliver.
Explore 101: Career Options
- Begin to identify criteria for finding careers that fit your personal interests, values, and skills
- Participate in formal and informal self-assessment to identify potential careers to explore
- Learn about reading, talking, watching & doing as means of exploring careers
- Learn about how to identify and research career options, using online resources
- Brainstorm people in their personal, academic, and professional network
Most beneficial for:
- First years or sophomores who would like to gain access to the alumni directory
- students who want to how to connect their interests, skills, and values to potential careers
- Students who are unsure of their career direction or who haven’t done in depth research into a career area they’ve identified
Explore 201: Networking
- Learn about the process of informational interviewing as a means of exploring careers and getting advice
- Learn how to structure conversations with Hamilton alumni and parents
- Learn how to use and gain access to My Hamilton CONNECT*
Most beneficial for:
- Students who can identify at least one career field of interest
- Students who are interested in exploring careers and getting advice from professionals
*If you are a first year or sophomore, you must complete Explore 101 as a prerequisite.
Explore 301: Learn from Others
- Engage in at least 4 career exploration activities, including: informational interviews, Connect Team programs, and shadowing.
- Complete structured report to reflect on and prove that they’ve completed these activities
- Desired Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate increased understanding of a particular industry or position (as demonstrated by the reflection they submit)
- Increased confidence/competence in talking to professionals….. (fix this later)
Most beneficial for:
- Students who have completed Explore 101 & 201
- Students who are ready to explore careers and get advice from professionals
These off-campus half-day events, hosted a few times a year, give students the opportunity to explore a particular industry. Students who attend learn invaluable information about the industries, networking, and landing career-related experience from a diverse group of participating alumni. Past Career Explos have been hosted in NYC and have featured industries such as finance, education, communications, film and television, and publishing.
How I Got My Internship
These lunches, hosted every couple weeks, provide an opportunity to learn from a panel of fellow students. The student speakers summarize their experience, provide insight into how they got started, and give tips and strategies for the industry in which they interned. Past topics have included education, sciences, finance, government, public health, communications, nonprofit, and business.
This half-day on-campus program is offered in September to give sophomores a jump start on planning for their future. At the conference-style event, students connect with Career Center staff, hear a keynote address, and attend two workshop sessions of their choice, focusing on career exploration, networking, resume writing and obtaining career-related experience.
Held several times throughout the year, this three part series of 75 minute long workshops is aimed at sophomores who are beginning career exploration and want to learn more about how to conduct an effective internship/CRE search. Participants must attend all three sessions, which consist of Exploring Careers 101, Networking 101, and Career-Related Experience 101.
First Year Smoothie
This social event gives first years a chance to meet our Peer Advisors and Presenters, sign up for workshops or appointments, and learn more about how they can work with the Career Center during their first year and beyond. Come by for delicious smoothie samples and get a chance to win a Euphoria gift card!
In addition, the Career Center collaborates with other offices to host Career Speakers and Panels periodically throughout the year.