STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE AND STUDENT RENTERS INSURANCE
Student Health Insurance and Sports Insurance
Basic Sickness Insurance Plan (offered on a “waiver” basis)
- Insurance coverage is provided by Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
- Hamilton College requires that all students have some form of health insurance coverage. Students who enroll at Hamilton will be billed an annual premium of $1,998 (MVP Insurance Carrier Rate - $1,923 - Broker Fee - $75) (Spring only premium is $1,166) for the '20-21 Hamilton College Student Health Insurance Plan unless they submit an online waiver and provide proof of alternate coverage. This waiver must be completed annually. Please complete the waiver by July 1 to avoid unnecessary charges.
Please visit the Health Center webpage for instructions on how to waive this insurance coverage
- Additional information for students and parents
Intercollegiate Sports Accident
In the event of an intercollegiate sports accident, the insurance is secondary to any other insurance carried by the student. However, the insurance will cover any deductible or charges excluded by the primary insurance.
All student intercollegiate sports accident claims must be submitted to the student’s insurance carrier first. The balance can be submitted to the College’s carrier. Students are responsible for filing their insurance claims. The College does not handle direct billing.
For detailed information on both insurance coverages, contact the Administrative Services Administrator, 315-859-4974. Intercollegiate sports accident claim forms can be obtained at the Health Center or from the Athletic Trainer.
Student Renters Insurance Coverage for Personal Property
Student Renters/Property Insurance
It is important for students to be aware of and to fully consider all of their property insurance needs. Occasionally, theft, water damage, accidental damage, and other events occur that may result in damage or loss of a student’s property. Hamilton College does not carry insurance on student’s belongings and does not pay to replace them. Therefore, parents and students are strongly encouraged to make sure they can cover these unexpected costs or secure insurance protection on personal property.
The most frequent causes of student property loss are theft and accidental damage (dropping, spilling liquids, and similar events). If this were to happen, the out-of-pocket costs to repair or replace would generally run between $500 and $2,000. Some parents choose to rely on homeowner’s (HO) insurance to cover such losses. Homeowner’s policies provide some coverage but generally do not cover “breakage” or accidental damage, and usually have high deductibles that effectively leave most student property losses unrecoverable.
Comparison of College Renter’s Insurance vs. Homeowner’s (HO) Insurance
College Student Renters Ins. Standard HO or Renters Policy
Coverage Plan Insuring MOST ALL Causes of Loss Yes Maybe (depends on policy)
Theft Yes Yes
Accidental Damage (Drops & Spills) Yes No
Deductible Amount Starting at $25 $500+ on standard HO
Identity Theft Expense Reimbursement Yes No
If you decide to purchase student renters insurance, there are a wide variety of companies and policies available to research for coverages and quotes. We do not endorse any single insurance company. The following three companies offer specialized student property protection insurance.
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., College Student Insurance
- Mercer Health & Benefits Insurance Services LLC., CampusConnexions
These three companies have created property insurance plans, especially for students living away from home, either on or off-campus. The coverage afforded by these policies is broader than most renters and homeowner’s insurance policies. Special provisions and benefits of their policy include:
- Replacement cost value
- Worldwide coverage
- Limited Identity Theft expense coverage
- Water damage and vandalism or even accidental damage
- Low deductibles starting at $25 (A deductible is an amount you pay before the insurance covers the claim)
- Low premiums starting at $69 annually (A premium is the amount of money charged by the insurance company for the chosen plan)
- Full 12 month policy period
Please note that Liability Coverage is not automatically included. You will be given the option to purchase Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Coverage to pay for damages for which the student is held legally liable (i.e., damages to the dorm room, damage to property of others, bodily injury of another party, etc.)