Accepting an On-Campus Job

If you will be working on campus, please review the following procedures for student employment.

Working on Campus for the First Time

Once you have accepted an on campus position, your supervisor should complete the Employment Authorization form with you and send you to Human Resources to complete the remaining paperwork. You are not eligible and cannot begin working until you are cleared by Human Resources. Supervisors can check here if a student is approved to work on campus. If a student is listed, they have completed all the paperwork and can work on campus.

Complete the following forms at the Human Resources Office

I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
You must prove your identity and your eligibility to work in the United States by completing an I-9 Employment Eligible Verification Form in the Office of Human Resources.  This is a federal law required by the Department of Homeland Security for all new employees, including students, citizens and non-citizens.

  • The I-9 form is completed after you are hired but before you start working.
  • For proper completion of the I-9 form you must present acceptable documents to show your identity and authorization to work.  You will need to provide one document from List A or a combination of one document from List B and one document from List CWe will need to view the original document(s).  Copies are not acceptable
  • It is recommended that you bring documents with you to campus if you plan on working.  If you do not have acceptable documentation with you, you cannot begin working until we view the original document(s).

W-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate (Federal)
Complete the form by checking box 3 and placing a number in box 5.  If you would like to add an additional amount, place a dollar amount in box 6.  When claiming exempt, write the word exempt in box 7. If claiming exempt, box 5 and 6 need to be blank.  No cross outs are allowed on the form.

IT-2104 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate (State)
Complete the form by entering a number in box 1.  If you would like to add an additional amount, enter a dollar amount in box 3.  If you would like to claim exempt please complete the New York State Exempt Form (IT-2104E).

New York Wage Notice
Must be completed for each position on campus.

Direct Deposit Authorization (optional)
Complete all information on the form, be sure to clearly print the routing and account numbers.

Important Information

Once you are cleared to begin working, on your first day of work you and your supervisor should login to WebAdvisor to confirm you can both see a time sheet for the student position which you were hired for the current pay period.

Please refer to the Student Employment Calendar for pay period start and end dates and pay dates. 

For information on how to complete your time sheet please visit the payroll site.


If you have any questions regarding the paperwork please contact Anna Moskal at amoskal@hamilton.edu or Michael Thayer at mtthayer@hamilton.edu.

Contact Information

Student Employment Office

Be on the look out for emails regarding Office Hours.  If you have any questions please email us!
Back to Top