A Day in the Life:
hamilton’s job shadowing program
A Day in the Life is a job shadowing program that will provide you with an excellent opportunity to learn about a career area as well as make professional connections with alumni and parents. It is a critical component of the Explore portion of our Find Your Future career development model.
A Day in the Life is designed for first-year, sophomore and junior students who are early in their career exploration process. Alumni and parents are asked to volunteer as sponsors. Sponsors have been asked to plan a one-day experience for you at their place of work during winter break. All transportation and accommodation costs are your responsibility.
Purpose and goals
The purpose of the A Day in the Life shadowing program is to assist you with career exploration and decision making.
- self-awareness and self-confidence;
- a career field of interest and determine if it is a good fit;
- Career Center resources for exploring careers;
- networking skills and make professional connections; and
- business correspondence and communication etiquette.
What to Expect
Experiences vary widely but may include:
- observation of a meeting (with other staff, clients, board members, etc.);
- tour of facilities
- meeting/speaking with a colleague in the same or a different department
- listening to phone conversation(s)
- observation of your sponsor in his/her workplace as they engage in typical activities
- an opportunity to ask questions about your sponsor’s career field and/or position.
|Sept. 17 – 28||Attend required orientation workshop (check Handshake calendar for dates)|
|Oct. 16||Students receive preliminary list of sponsors|
|Oct. 17-28||First sign-up period, sign up for only one|
|Oct. 29 - Nov. 9||Second sign-up period, can sign up for multiple experiences|
|Oct. - Dec.||Students follow-up with individual sponsor via email|
|Dec. – Jan.||Students participate in shadowing program|
|Feb.||Students complete a brief post-program evaluation|