Bias Incident Response Team
The Bias Incident Response Team (BIRT) is a group of administrators from across the institution who are committed to creating a proactive response to instances of hate and bias. When a student reports a bias and/or hate incident, the BIRT will support the student, connect them with the appropriate resources, and follow-up with them until the situation has been resolved.
The BIRT is:
- Committed and organized to assist students who report instances of hate and/or bias
- Dedicated to fostering a welcoming and inclusive campus community for all students
- Action oriented initiatives that will provide early intervention and education on acts of bias and hate for the campus community
The BIRT is not:
- An investigative unit or punitive body (BIRT will connect students with the Student Conduct Office or Community Standards, as appropriate)
- Crisis or emergency services. Any student in need of campus safety, police intervention or immediate assistance should call Campus Safety at (315) 859-4000 or, if the student is not on campus, local police at 911.