I-20, Visa and Initial Entry

If you are a Canadian citizen, you will be required to pay the SEVIS fee and receive an I-20 from Hamilton College in order to gain F-1 student status.   However, Canadian F-1 students are NOT required to obtain a student visa stamp from a US Consulate or Embassy.

After receiving an I-20, Canadian students may enter the US for initial attendance at Hamilton by presenting only the I-20 form, evidence of admission to Hamilton College, and evidence of financial support, and documentation showing identity and citizenship.

Maintaining F-1 Student Status

Once admitted to the US for attendance at Hamilton, Canadian F-1 students are subject to all the same rules for maintaining valid F-1 status as any other international student.  


Please note especially that Canadian students are subject to the same employment rules as all other F-1 students, you may work on campus, but must receive work authorization for ANY off-campus employment, including summer work and internships. Please review the OPT and CPT pages for further information on employment.

Canadian citizens are not allowed to take work off-campus in stores, restaurants, or elsewhere and may not engage in ANY off-campus employment without authorization. Please consult the International Student office before accepting any employment off-campus. 


Canadian F-1 students will always be asked to present an I-20 and proof of identity and citizenship to re-enter the US. The international student advisor's travel signature on page three of the I-20 should be updated at least once a year, and preferably every six months.


Office / Department Name

International Student Services

Contact Name

Omobonike Odegbami

Director of International Student Services

Office Location
Days-Massolo Center

Help us provide an accessible education, offer innovative resources and programs, and foster intellectual exploration.

Site Search