Applying for Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT)
A comprehensive review of the online application takes place before its submission during the student and director meeting to finalize things.
Students on post-completion OPT may have up to 90 days of unemployment. The 90 days start counting from your approved OPT/EAD start date (not the recommended start date nor the program end date on your I-20) and are cumulative. If you accumulate 90 days or more of unemployment, you are in violation of your F-1 status.
Earliest Date to Apply
90 days prior to completion
Earliest start date for OPT
Latest start date for OPT
Last Day to Apply
60 days after completion, must reach USCIS by this date
Steps to Applying for Post-Completion OPT:
- Complete the following forms and submit to the international student director:
- For the I-765 form, check “Initial permission to accept employment” after “I am applying for”
- For Your Mailing Address, we recommend that you enter Dean of Students Office, Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Road, Clinton, NY 13323. This will allow us to track your application, make copies as appropriate, and avoid problems with mail being returned to USCIS if you are not approved before you leave campus!
- I-94 Number: Retrieve your I-94 Enter your I-94 number to answer the appropriate question online, unless USCIS has previously issued you an alien registration number.
- Your Certification: Electronically sign, include your telephone number, personal email address and the date.
- Enter the correct code for Post-Completion OPT: (c)(3)(B)
The following should be included in the online application:
- Any previous employment EAD card(s), if applicable.
- I-765 Form
- Copies of all prior CPT I-20s
- OPT-authorization I-20 (issued by the international student director)
- copy of the passport information page
- copy of the applicant’s most recent I-94
- Upload a passport-style/sized photo (taken within 30-days of filing your application. Photos must be 2” by 2” with white to off-white background. They can be taken and purchased at CVS or the Clinton Post Office.
- Payment of the $410 fee with a credit or debit card
International Student Services receives updates about students’ applications and notifies them as to where things stand throughout the process. This includes the receipt and distribution of applicants’ EAD cards.
Office / Department Name
International Student Services
Director of International Student Services