Obtaining a New York State Non-Driver Photo ID
A New York State non-driver photo ID contains the same photo, signature, and personal information as a driver’s license and is secure against fraud or alteration. It can be a useful proof of identity and can be used in place of your passport for everyday identification needs, such as check cashing.
- You can obtain a New York State Non-Driver Photo ID through the Department of Motor Vehicles located at 321 Main St, Utica, NY. The telephone number is (315) 798-5749.
- Your I-20 must have at least six months remaining. It must have been issued for more than one year.
- You must fill out a form MV-44.
- You must provide “proof of identity” totaling 4 points (explained below), plus a social security card (worth 2 pts., for a total of 6 pts). If you do not have a social security card, you must provide a letter from the Social Security Administration or form SSA-L676 explaining why you are ineligible for a social security card.
- Each document submitted must be an original or certified by the issuing agency. One must have your signature, and one must show your date of birth. In most cases, your passport will have your date of birth and signature, and that is sufficient for both purposes.
- Document point values are as follows:
- I-20 AND passport: 3 points (proves date of birth)
- Social Security card: 2 points
- U.S. College photo ID: 2 points
- Computer printed pay stub: 1 point
- U.S. health insurance card: 1 point
- W-2 with Social Security number: 1 point
- Bank statement OR Cancelled, preprinted check OR Signed ATM/Debit card OR Valid major US credit card: 1 point
Office / Department Name
International Student Services
Director of International Student Services