F-1 students who plan to work on campus must acquire a Social Security Number (SSN). Only students who can provide a hiring letter from an on-campus employer are eligible to apply for an SSN.

The Director of International Student Services will facilitate the application process. Applications cannot be submitted until the F-1 student has been in the U.S. for a minimum of two weeks and can provide proof of employment. Students can arrange transportation to the Utica Social Security Office by contacting Student Transportation at transport@hamilton.edu.

Students must bring passports and Forms I-94, the I-20, a hiring letter and a letter from the Director verifying eligibility for employment.  Complete instructions and details are available from the Social Security Administration website.

Possession of a social security number does NOT constitute eligibility to work.


Office / Department Name

International Student Services

Contact Name

Omobonike Odegbami

Director of International Student Services

Office Location
Days-Massolo Center

Help us provide an accessible education, offer innovative resources and programs, and foster intellectual exploration.

Site Search