Loans for Students
Most financial aid awards consist of scholarships, work-study and loans. The average total student indebtedness has ranged from $16,500-$21,500 in recent years.
Federal Direct Loans
Year of Study
Maximum Subsidized /
*Certain international students, including Canadian citizens, may be awarded institutional loans in accordance with the subsidized portion of the table above.
Additional Federal Loan Information
- Borrower must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Subsidized loans do not begin accruing interest until after college graduation and for the 2018-19 academic year have a fixed interest rate of 5.045% with a 1.062% origination fee.
- Unsubsidized loans accrue interest upon disbursement and for the 2018-19 academic year have a fixed interest rate of 5.045% with a 1.062% origination fee.
- Repayment begins six months after the student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment.
- Hamilton includes only subsidized loans in our financial aid awards, and the loan amount awarded yearly will increase according to the chart above. Depending on eligibility, additional loans may be borrowed to offset the expected family contribution.
- Loan proceeds will be credited directly to the student's account.
- Additional information is available via the Direct Loan Basics for Students brochure.
Student loan application requirements:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Direct Loan Master Promissory Note
- Direct Loan Entrance Interview Counseling
- 2018-19 Hamilton College Direct Loan Request Form