Loans for Students
Most financial aid awards consist of scholarships, work-study and loans. The average total student indebtedness has ranged from $16,500-$21,500 in recent years.
Federal Direct Loans
- Subsidized loans do not begin accruing interest until after college graduation and have a fixed interest rate of 4.45% with a 1.066% origination fee.
- Unsubsidized loans accrue interest upon disbursement and have a fixed interest rate of 4.45% with a 1.066% origination fee.
- Repayment begins six months after the student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment.
- Hamilton includes only subsidized loans in our financial aid awards, and the loan amount awarded yearly will increase according to the chart below. Depending on eligibility, additional loans may be borrowed to offset the expected family contribution.
- Loan proceeds will be credited directly to the student's account within ten days prior to the start of classes for each semester.
- Additional information is available via the Direct Loan Basics for Students brochure.
Students initiate the borrowing process by:
- Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Completing the Hamilton College Direct Loan Request Form
- Completing the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note
- Completing the Direct Loan Entrance Interview Counseling
Year of Study
Maximum Subsidized /