Guidelines for using personal vehicles for business travel or college-related errands. Any questions regarding the auto liability insurance for the college's fleet should be directed to Amber Denny at 315-859-4974.

Mileage Reimbursement

The current mileage reimbursement rate can be found on the business office site. This rate is based on the federally-established mileage rate. The mileage rate is calculated to reimburse a driver for fuel, insurance, and wear/tear on their vehicle. (This is why the mileage rate exceeds the actual fuel cost for a trip.) This rate is adjusted periodically for rising fuel and insurance costs.

When an employee uses a personal vehicle for college-related travel, s/he should submit a mileage reimbursement request to their supervisor using a Travel Expense Report

Motor Vehicle Accidents

If an employee is involved in an accident while driving their vehicle, whether, for business or personal purposes, their insurance is the primary coverage. Vehicle insurance carries with the vehicle. The purpose of the vehicle use does not determine the insurance that will respond in the event of a claim. The employee's insurance policy covers the employee's vehicle. This is mandated by New York State motor vehicle law. The college cannot and does not insure the employee's vehicle when the employee is using it for business purposes.

If an employee is involved in an accident, they should follow all the accident reporting procedures required by New York State and their insurance company. If the damage to the employee's or another vehicle is likely to exceed $500 or if there is any confusion or disagreement about the person at fault for the accident, the employee should contact the local police department and request that they complete an accident report.

Personal Vehicle Damaged by College-Owned Vehicle or Equipment

If a personal vehicle is damaged by a college-owned vehicle or college-owned equipment and the college driver is at fault, please report the incident immediately to Campus Safety. The report will be sent to Administrative Services, who manage the college's insurance. The claimant should have a repair estimate prepared by a local body shop and send a copy to Amber Denny, 315-859-4974 (office), adenny@hamilton.edu. If you have questions about the process, please contact Amber Denny. 

Damages to Parked Vehicles

If a personal vehicle is damaged while stopped or parked on campus property, the owner's vehicle insurance applies. The owner should report the incident to Campus Safety and request they complete an incident report. The owner will need the incident report from their insurance company. The college is not liable for any deductibles or uninsured amounts on an owner's insurance policy if the college is not liable for the damage. The college's insurance would only apply if the college were negligent in some way and directly responsible for the loss.

Vehicle Insurance

The following limits have been provided as a guide by the college's insurance carrier. This is the minimum level of coverage suggested. 

  • $100,000 per person (bodily injury)
  • $300,000 per accident (bodily injury)
  • $50,000 per accident (property damage)

Higher limits of coverage are recommended to protect a vehicle owner in the event of a severe motor vehicle accident. Employees are encouraged to check with their insurance company to determine the level of coverage that is adequate for their circumstances.

Off-Campus Field Trips/Classes

When students or faculty use their vehicles to travel to/from off-campus classes or field trip locations, the same situation exists relative to insurance (see above, Motor Vehicle Accidents). The student or faculty member's vehicle insurance applies in the event of an accident.

If a college-owned or college-rented vehicle is used for an off-campus activity, the college's insurance applies in case of an accident or claim. A college employee or an authorized student driver can only drive the vehicle. Please refer to Campus Safety Transportation webpages for additional information regarding the student driver authorization process.


Contact Name

Administrative Services

Office Location
Bristol Center Main Floor

Help us provide an accessible education, offer innovative resources and programs, and foster intellectual exploration.

Site Search