The Hamilton College Opportunity Program is comprised of two components of equal academic support: The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) for New York State residents whose family incomes meet the financial guidelines, and the Hamilton College Scholars Program for students who are outside the HEOP eligibility requirements.
All students selected and offered admission to Hamilton College through the Opportunity Program have demonstrated academic competitiveness, leadership, initiative, and the potential for success in Hamilton’s rigorous academic environment with support. Students who enroll at Hamilton through the Opportunity Program will benefit from academic and personal support, mentorship, and advocacy for the duration of their time at the College.
Important Things to Note
Attendance at the summer program is mandatory and must be successfully completed in order to fully matriculate at Hamilton in the fall. You must successfully complete the summer program as a condition of admission.
The program runs from Saturday, July 1, 2023 - Saturday, August 5, 2023.
All costs, including housing, food, and travel, are covered by the Opportunity Program Office.
Benefits of the Opportunity Program include:
The summer program is academically rigorous, with intensive coursework designed and taught by Hamilton faculty. Upon successful completion of the summer program, you will have earned one credit toward your graduation requirements.
- Each student will be assigned a student staff mentor, as well as an Opportunity Program advisor for the duration of the summer program.
- Students will have the opportunity to take Philosophy; English; Math; Public Speaking; Physical Education; one of Biology, Chemistry, Geology, or Government; and a study skills-focused course.
- Students will receive tutoring support in all academic subjects for the duration of the summer program.
- Students will live with their peers, in a summer residence hall, with student staff members.
- Weekend trips and social programming are part of the experience and help foster a strong sense of community and belonging.
Your journey at Hamilton begins with taking ownership of your education, as well as accessing the support and resources the College has to offer. Our goal is to help you develop your skills and create opportunities that help you reach your full potential. We look forward to working with and supporting you.
About the Summer Program
The five-week summer program introduces Hamilton College Opportunity Program students to college-level work and provides students with a strong academic foundation that facilitates a successful transition to college life.