January Admission Explained
We anticipate you may have questions about Hamilton’s January Admission program, and hope this information helps.
- Hamilton welcomes about 40 first-year students each January. Because more than 60 percent of Hamilton students study abroad or away for some or all of their junior year, we typically have space available on campus to offer January admission to qualified students.
- Each year, after filling the spaces reserved for fall admission, we are still eager to admit several dozen more applicants because of their academic potential, strength of character and personal qualities. From this group we offer January admission to those students whose demonstrated independence and intellectual curiosity lead us to believe they will make good use of the fall semester.
- “Jans” have done virtually anything and everything in the fall, from community service and travel to outdoor adventures and full-time work. Many students pursue credit-bearing opportunities at an accredited institution and earn transfer credits so they can graduate after three-and-a-half years at Hamilton. Others have used AP credit and summer coursework to make on-time graduation possible. The majority of students who join the Hamilton community in January graduate with the rest of their class. See more information on transfer credit and a list of the programs in which past Jans have participated.
- While Jans pursue a wide variety of options, many study in London through the Arcadia Fall in London Freshman Program. Arcadia is a long-standing and trusted partner, and the courses are credit-bearing and approved by Hamilton. Arcadia offers limited financial aid for this program.
- We’re excited to make available a new option for our Jans, starting in 2017, and in partnership with SEA Semester (for Environmental Science in Woods Hole [Massachusetts] and at Sea). SEA semester is a program that many Hamilton upperclass students have participated in for years. This new offering, which is credit-bearing and has been vetted and approved by Hamilton, will be tailored to first-year, “gap” semester students who are seeking a unique and adventurous fall semester experience.
- Jans looking to create a unique and personalized fall semester experience are encouraged to consider the Center for Interim Programs, a trusted partner of Hamilton that provides one-on-one counseling for students looking to design a gap experience of any length.
- While the “Jan” option isn’t for everyone, we are pleased to offer you a place at Hamilton and hope that you will choose to join us on College Hill in January. Please note that Jans cannot appeal their decision or move to the fall waiting list. Regardless of your decision, we thank you for your interest in Hamilton and wish you all the best for your college career! For additional information about January admission please contact Jack Fitch, assistant dean of admission, at 1-800-843-2655 or email@example.com.