All expenditures must be approved by the DOF office prior to spending the money. This ensures that the request is in line with College and DOF policies and that funds are available to cover the expenditures.

Research Expenses

If you have expenses for research that you would like funded, please first complete this online Faculty Research Support Request Form. To ensure that you are clear on what can be reimbursed, you might want to speak with the DOF office

Should you hire someone outside of Hamilton College (with approval from the Dean of Faculty) to do some task for you (e.g., indexing, translating), we will need paperwork that verifies and outlines the agreement around the work, such as an email exchange describing what will be done by whom and for what cost. In addition, we will need a W-9 form, an Independent Contractor Questionnaire, and an invoice (with the word “invoice,” a date, address, amount, and a tax ID#) from the worker once the task is done. You, as the initiator of the transaction, will also need to complete an Independent Contractor Checklist and attach it to the other paperwork before you submit it. (For vendors who have previously been paid by the college within the past two years, only the invoice is necessary; the other paperwork should already be on file.)

For approved purchases of equipment or services from vendors who require purchase orders, you may need to submit a Purchase Requisition Form to Gillian King (who will endorse the purchase and forward the form to the Purchasing Department, in Auxiliary Services). When you receive the invoices from the vendors (including those who do not require purchase orders), forward them to Gillian.

Research Travel

All requests for travel support  (for trips for any purpose, including conferences, research trips, or workshops) should be made to the Associate Dean using the online Travel Request form found on the DOF homepage. Travel arrangements for approved trips may be made through our travel agency BTI and charged to the Dean of Faculty account or paid for by you and reimbursed with a receipt showing payment has been made. Within thirty days of the end of your trip you will need to attach your receipts to a Travel Expense Report and send it to Linda Michels (lmichels@hamilton.edu) here in the DOF office. Hamilton’s tax-exempt number must be used for travel within New York State.  We do not reimburse for sales tax on lodging in New York State (to avoid this sales tax, you should present this NYS sales tax exemption form when you check in). If you are planning complicated research trips (e.g., trips longer than the 7 days normally covered by per diem expenses, trips to countries where receipts are not a part of everyday life, unusual purchases, etc.), you should speak first with the DOF office.

All expenditure of your funds must conform to the guidelines on “Faculty Travel and Research Support” found in the “Red Book,” which is available on the Dean of Faculty (DOF) homepage. The DOF office and the Business Office will not cover expenses that violate college guidelines regardless of the source of the funding.  We encourage you to read these guidelines so that you will not be surprised by the policies. 

Student Workers

Details about hiring student workers may be found here on the HR website. Please speak with Nicolas de la Riva (Assistant Dean for Academic Finance and Resources, mdelariv@hamilton.edu, x4611) if you have questions about hiring someone to help with your research.

Help us provide an accessible education, offer innovative resources and programs, and foster intellectual exploration.

Site Search