Google Drive File Stream
Drive File Stream is an application for Mac/PC that provides on-demand streaming access to all of your Google Drive files from your computer, replacing the Legacy Google Drive Sync for Mac/PC.
With Drive File Stream, you can:
- Quickly see all your Google Drive files in Finder/Explorer.
- Browse and organize Google Drive files without downloading all of them to your computer.
- Choose which files or folders you'd like to make available offline.
- Open files in common apps like Word and Excel.
If you currently use Google “Backup and Sync” with your Hamilton account, LITS recommends migrating to Drive File Stream. After installing Drive File Stream, you’ll be prompted to stop syncing My Drive with Backup and Sync in order to save disk space.
Windows: Windows 7 and up. (Windows 7 32-bit editions are not supported).
Mac: El Capitan (10.11) and up.
NOTE: If you are running an unsupported operating system and wish to use Drive File Stream, contact the LITS Help Desk at 315-859-4181 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Mac and Windows
- Launch the Self Service App from the Applications folder and sign in using your Hamilton username and password.
- Scroll down along the left hand menu to Productivity Apps and click on the Install button for Google File Stream.
- Click on the Windows Start Menu and search for Software Center.
- Select Google Drive File Stream from the list of Available Software and click on the Install Selected button.
Last updated: May 3, 2018