Burke Library will close to the public beginning Monday, May 18, 2020, for a complete reconstruction of the first floor and front entrance.
What is a shared Drive ?
Google Shared Drives are shared spaces where teams can easily store, search, and access their files anywhere, from any device.
Unlike files in My Drive, files in Shared Drive belong to the team instead of an individual. Even if members leave, the files stay exactly where they are so your team can continue to share information and get work done.
- Ideal for collaborating in small to medium sized groups (project teams, classes, research groups, campus organizations).
- Unlimited storage, integration with Drive File Stream.
- NOT well-suited for large groups, where complex permissions may be required.
USING Shared DRIVES
- Add Files and Folders - Learn how to create folders and add and open files.
- Organize Files - Find instructions for how to move, delete, restore, and search for files.
- Share and Collaborate - Share files with people who are not part of the designated team.
There are certain limitations migrating existing My Drive content into Shared Drives.
- You cannot move a folder from My Drive to a Shared Drive (this can be done administratively if needed, see the request form below for details). Only files can be migrated, although you can move multiple files at a time.
- Because you cannot move a folder, you must recreate a folder in Shared Drive, folder permissions are not moved. If you have given other users access to a folder on your My Drive, you will need to grant those permissions again in Shared Drive.
- You can only move files that you own from My Drive into a Shared Drive, any files in your My Drive that are owned by someone else will not be moved. Those files will be copied, and the original file will remain in the original My Drive.
- Moving files to a Shared Drive will change the ownership from an individual to the team.
- File permissions and links do not change. People who are not Shared Drive members can still access the file with previously granted permission.
- There are Shared Drive Limits related to maximum number files, uploads, membership and folder depth.
TO REQUEST A Shared DRIVE
Last updated: December 3, 2019