Hamilton does offer individualized tutoring for multilingual students through the Writing Center and Oral Communication Center. All Hamilton students are required to demonstrate English proficiency during the application process, but many need additional support when adjusting to Hamilton's communication-intensive environment. Multilingual students who have specific questions may contact contact Multilingual Specialist Laura Widman at lwidman@hamilton.edu.

Hamilton does not offer a degree in engineering, but we do offer five- or six-year, combined-degree programs with Columbia University, the Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Washington University in St. Louis. Hamilton also offers access to a combined plan at the Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College. This program is on a 2-1-1-1 schedule. The student completes two years at Hamilton, the junior year as a visiting student at Dartmouth and returns to Hamilton to complete the senior year and to earn the B.A. The student then returns to Dartmouth to finish the second year of engineering studies and to receive a degree in engineering.  Admission to these programs in the traditional divisions of chemical, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering, and now many others such as biomedical, computer and environmental engineering, is based on obtaining a G.P.A. of 3.0, or a B average, and the positive recommendation of the Department of Physics. Various 4-2 plans lead to different degree options.

Hamilton does not offer a business major. Students interested in business frequently take courses in economics, mathematics, government and communication. Hamilton is nationally recognized for teaching effective writing and persuasive speaking of all majors, therefore, are well-equipped to pursue a career in business. To learn more about our graduates who have pursued careers in business or finance, please visit our Outcomes page.

In addition to the academic advising that Hamilton provides its students, the College also offers guidance for students who are interested in attending professional schools after graduation. Among the professions for which the College advises are: business, education, engineering, government service, health professions, and law.

In order to receive A.P. credit, a student must take a departmentally approved Hamilton course and pass with the minimum grade stipulated by the department. Students must take one of the courses listed on the Advanced Placement Policies Web page as their first course in the department, unless otherwise designated. A student may not receive credit toward a degree solely on the basis of a score on an Advanced Placement Test.

IB credit is awarded only to students who complete the full IB program and receive the IB diploma. Unfortunately, students who only receive a certificate for completing one or several IB courses are not eligible to receive Hamilton credit for their IB work.

Students completing the Abitur can receive credit for courses with test grades of 10 or higher or for courses without exams if the combined yearly score is 10 or higher (out of 15). Credit will only be awarded in subjects that are considered Liberal Arts.

If you have more specific questions regarding transfer credit, please contact the Office of the Registrar at regofc@hamilton.edu.


Office of Admission

Site Search