Last updated: December 3, 2020
There are several options to develop surveys and collect and analyze data.
- The Hamilton Survey Tool is available to faculty, students, and staff. You can also access it, through the tools panel in MyHamilton, and under Library & IT (LITS), select Survey Tool. On the page, you will be asked for your username and password. Instructions to create, edit, and distribute a survey appear below.
- Google Forms, available through your Google Apps for Education (HillConnect) account.
- The College maintains a license for the Qualtrics Research Suite.
- Surveys in Blackboard may be a possibility if the survey is just going to a class. Procedures to do so are outlined in the Blackboard manual.
Creating a Survey with the Hamilton Survey Tool
- To create a survey, select New Survey... in the left-hand panel under survey utilities. After choosing to create a new survey, you will be asked to name your survey.
- You can choose to require login to access the survey. You can use this to limit the survey to the Hamilton Community, or certain parts of it.
- You can also choose to submit survey once, preventing participants from taking the survey multiple times. This is useful in preventing duplicates from appearing in your data.
- You can choose to email upon submission, sending an email to a specified address once a survey is submitted.
Adding Content to your Survey
- Select Add Content under survey utilities, and select the survey to which you want to add content.
- You will be presented with multiple kinds of questions and descriptions for them. Select the kind of question you want, enter the data, and click next or complete, depending on the amount of data necessary for your question.
Editing your Survey
- Select Edit Content under survey utilities, and select the survey to which you want to edit content.
- The questions in your survey will appear, along with the options to edit or remove them.
- Select Publishing Preferences under survey utilities, and select the survey to which you want to publish.
- Set a start date and end date. (Optional)
- Add a header message and a thank you message.
- Choose whether or not to use ITS Navigation.
- Click save preferences.
- Select Publishing Preferences under survey utilities, and select the survey to which you want to see data for.
- Under each question will be a details button, which will give you information on that question.
- You can also export the result data using the button under survey utilities to download the data into an Excel file.
Distributing your Survey
- To distribute your survey, select the URL button next to the survey title on the upper right corner of the page.
- Paste that URL into e-mails and other messages so others can take your survey.