Second Year Planning
Studying abroad takes early planning. Use this checklist during your second year at Hamilton to guide you through the advising and application process early in the year.
- Remind your faculty advisor about your interest in studying off campus either for the semester or the full year.
- Check with your faculty advisor about the courses you need to take to stay on target to complete your major and minor requirements.
- Keep your options open. Consider taking a language course if you haven’t already done so.
- Complete the study abroad planning form.
- Call the Office of Off-Campus Study to schedule an appointment with a study abroad advisor (315-859-4022). The best time to meet is EARLY, ideally during the first semester.
- Meet with the student fellowships coordinator EARLY if you are interested in national study-abroad scholarships. Many scholarship deadlines are in early fall.
- Attend information sessions about different programs and events hosted by the Office of Off-Campus Study to learn more from students who have studied off-campus.
- Apply early for programs since most programs admit students on a rolling basis and can fill up before the published deadline.
- Work closely with your study-abroad advisor if you find out that you need to petition.
- Complete the leave of absence form by the leave of absence deadline. Submit the form to the Office of Off-Campus Study.
- Check with the Financial Aid Office about how your aid will be carried over to your study-abroad program.
- Once you’ve been accepted, complete the petition for transferred credit form. Gather necessary course materials and appropriate signatures, and return them to the Registrar’s Office by December 1 (fall deadline) or April 15 (spring deadline).
- Keep in touch! Update your study-abroad advisor about your application process or any changes to your plans.
- Attend the required pre-departure orientation at the end of the semester.