Connecting to ESS Using VPN
Do Not Use a Thumb Drive
to Back Up Your ESS Space
According to our information security policy, individuals SHOULD NOT
download the contents of ESS to a thumb drive,
nor should they upload the entire contents of their ESS space to Google Drive.
Word and Excel do not equate EXACTLY to Docs and Sheets.
You may get unintended consequences!
Connect via VPN to ensure the safety and expected performance of your files.
Mapping Network Drives
If you are looking for your network drives in their usual place, you won't find them there until you “map” them the first time you use VPN. You need to do the mapping on a Hamilton barcoded computer or your own personal computer.
- After connecting to VPN, right-click on Network and select Map network drive...
- Enter the ESS drive you need. You'll need to map each one you need individually. For example:
\\ess\[your department name]
Check the box next to Reconnect at sign-in.
- You will be prompted to login with the Hamilton credentials for the first drive mapping. Click OK when done.
- Click Finish. You'll see the new drive mappings under This PC.
- Before connecting to VPN the next, your drives will have a red X on them. After you connect to VPN, just double click on the drive you want and you'll see the contents.
Last updated: March 16, 2021