Using VPN in Mac OSX
If you have enrolled in DUO, please visit the following link : Using VPN with Duo
NOTE: The VPN client cannot be installed on a computer connected to the Hamilton network, either via Wi-Fi or a network jack. These instructions should only be followed on an OFF-CAMPUS computer.
Introductory AND INSTRUCTIONAL Video
This video will help you understand why VPN is being used at Hamilton:
Note: If you receive a message stating that the web-based installation was unsuccessful, please follow our instructions to perform a manual installation.
- To begin your installation, open your web browser, e.g. Firefox or Chrome.
- In the location box, type the URL https://outside.hamilton.edu. Note: the “s” in “https” is required.
- In the login dialog box,
- Select the appropriate group option: Select Hamilton Duo.
Enter your Hamilton network ID (e.g. jdoe, do not include @hamilton.edu).
- NOTE: As of Jan 19, 2021 at 8pm : There are two options
- Enter your password and DUO will automatically send a notification to your phone or
- You can use the 6 digit pin from the DUO token or mobile app with your password (e.g. mypassword,555555 - Note: no spaces before or after the comma).
- Then click Login
- In the Network Access Warning window, click Accept.
- NOTE: If you receive a window that indicates the automated installation failed, this is due to a variety of reasons, one is if the Java on your computer is not updated. You can either update Java on your computer or follow our instructions for a manual installation.
- The Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client installer will start automatically.
- Depending on your version of Java and the browser, the next screens may or not appear.
- If you see a dialog indicating An applet from “outside.hamilton.edu” is requesting access to your computer, click on Allow.
- Next you may be asked to Run, or Allow the Java application to run. Click on the Run or Allow button.
- Don’t Block the application from running.
- OK, allow the application to make changes to your computer.
- The VPN Client Downloader will start.
- The VPN Client Downloader will start.
- When the installation is finished, a connection to Hamilton will be started automatically.
- The Connection Established message includes a screen shot of the icon that you will find at the top of your screen on the menu bar.
- Click on the icon to verify your connection, or to disconnect when you are finished with your session.
Connecting and Disconnecting
- To start a VPN connection, search for the Cisco VPN client in Finder/Spotlight and launch it (The helpdesk recommends adding it to your dock or add shortcut icon on desktop for ease of access).
- The Cisco AnyConnect Client will open. Enter outside.hamilton.edu in the AnyConnect client and click Connect.
- Verify that the under Ready to connect that outside.hamilton.edu is populated.
- Then click the Connect button.
Enter your Hamilton UserID
Note: As of Jan 19, 2021 - 8pm : You have two options
Enter your password and DUO will automatically send a notification to your phone or
Click OK to continue.
- A dialog window with the warning against unauthorized use will pop-up.
Click Accept on the dialog window that pops up warning against unauthorized use.
- At this point, you will be connected to all of your normal Hamilton College network resources via VPN. You can confirm this by mousing over the VPN icon in your Taskbar notifications area, and receiving the message indicating that the VPN client is connected.
- If you wish to start a Remote Desktop connection to your office computer, you can safely initiate that session now.
- If you wish to connect to any of your normal Hamilton College network resources, such as your personal folder on ESS > Clicking on Go > Connect to Server will get you to your network drives, including your personal and department folders on ESS :
- Simply click on the Go menu in the desktop menu bar,
- Then click Connect to Server….
- Enter the server address smb://ess and click Connect
- In the login dialog that appears, enter your Hamilton network ID and password, then click Connect.
- Select users from the volumes list, and click OK.
- A connection to the ESS users volume will be started, but it will take quite a while for the folders to download.
- Once the folder list is available, you can navigate to your personal folder, and use it just as though you were on campus.
- Remember to disconnect your VPN session when you are finished. To do so, just click on the VPN icon in the tray, then click Disconnect.
Last updated: July 20, 2021