LITS Resource Center
Last updated: June 9, 2023
If you have enrolled in DUO, please visit the following link : Using VPN with Duo
NOTE: The VPN client cannot be installed on a computer connected to the Hamilton network, either via Wi-Fi or a network jack. These instructions should only be followed on an OFF-CAMPUS computer.
- To begin your installation, open a web browser, e.g. Firefox or Chrome.
- In the location box, type https://outside.hamilton.edu. Note: the “s” in “https” is required.
- In the login dialog box:
- Select the appropriate group option: Select Hamilton Duo.
Enter your Hamilton network ID (e.g. jdoe, do not include @hamilton.edu).
- NOTE: As of Jan 19, 2021 at 8pm : There are two options
- Enter your password and DUO will automatically send a notification to your phone or
- You can use the 6 digit pin from the DUO token or mobile app with your password (e.g. mypassword,555555 - Note: no spaces before or after the comma).
- Click Login.
- In the Network Access Warning window, click Accept.
- The Cisco Secure Client installer will start automatically. Depending on your version of Java and the browser, the next screens may or not appear.
- If you see a dialog indicating an applet from “outside.hamilton.edu” is requesting access to your computer, click on Allow.
- Next, you may be asked to allow the Java application to run. Click on the Run or Allow button.
- The VPN Client Downloader will start.
- When the installation is finished, a connection to Hamilton will be started automatically.
- The Connection Established message includes a screenshot of the icon that you will find at the top of your screen on the menu bar. Click on the icon to verify your connection, or to disconnect when you are finished with your session.
Connecting and Disconnecting
- To start a VPN connection, search for the Cisco Secure client in Finder/Spotlight and launch it (we recommend adding it to your dock, or adding a shortcut icon on the desktop, for ease of access)
- The Cisco Secure Client will open. Enter outside.hamilton.edu in the Secure client and click Connect.
- Verify that under Ready to connect that outside.hamilton.edu is populated.
- Then click the Connect button.
- Enter your Hamilton username.
As of Jan 19, 2021 you have two options:
Enter your password and DUO will automatically send a notification to your phone or
Enter the 6 digit pin from the DUO token or mobile app with your password (e.g. mypassword,555555 - Note: no spaces before or after the comma).
Click OK to continue.
- A dialog window with a warning against unauthorized use will pop-up. Click Accept on this window.
- At this point, you will be connected to all of your normal Hamilton College network resources via VPN. You can confirm this by hovering over the VPN icon in your taskbar notifications area, and viewing the message indicating that the VPN client is connected.
- If you wish to start a Remote Desktop connection to your office computer, you can safely start that session now.
- If you wish to connect to any of your Hamilton College network network drives, including personal and department folders on ESS :
- Click on the Go menu in the desktop menu bar,
- Then click Connect to Server….
- Enter the server address smb://ess and click Connect.
- In the login dialog that appears, enter your Hamilton network ID and password, then click Connect.
- Select users from the volumes list, and click OK.
- A connection to the ESS users volume will be started, but it may take a while for the folders to download.
- Once the folder list is available, you can navigate to your personal folder, and use it just as though you were on campus.
- Remember to disconnect your VPN session when you are finished. To do so, just click on the VPN icon in the tray, then click Disconnect.