When You Leave Hamilton: Email & Network Account Options
Please read through all of the questions below to familiarize yourself with all your options before you take action.
When Will my email account be deleted?
- Employee email accounts will be deactivated at the end of the day (4:30 p.m.) on the last day of employment.
- Student and Faculty accounts will be deactivated approximately three (3) months after you graduate or leave the College.
- For information on Retiree accounts please visit the following link: LITS Resources For Retirees
WHAT happens when my account is deleted?
- When your account is deactivated, it is as if it has been deleted; you can no longer access your mail, no new mail is received, no mail is forwarded, and no auto-reply message is delivered. Your old messages are preserved while the account is deactivated. One month later your account will be deleted and messages can no longer be retrieved.
- You will lose access to Google services tied to your Hamilton email account. Impacted services include Gmail, Contacts, Calendar, Drive, Hangouts, Keep, Blogger, Google+, Google Maps, YouTube, etc.
- Once your account gets deleted, you will lose all documents and data from services tied to your Google Account. For example, any documents, sheets or files stored in Google Drive will be deleted. Everyone with whom you may have shared Google files will also lose access to them unless you make them the owner of the file. You can also export your data using Google Takeout.
- If you used your Hamilton email address when you created accounts on websites like Dropbox, Spotify, or Facebook, you should change your contact email address to a different address. Otherwise, if you forget your password on those sites, the new password will be sent to your non-existent Hamilton account.
What happens if I miss the deadline to transfer my mail to another account?
Although your account is deactivated on the deadline date, your messages are not physically removed from Google's server for another month. This allows us to easily restore your account access should you accidentally miss the deadline. After the one month grace period has passed, your mail is no longer retrievable.
How do I request an extension?
If you have extenuating circumstances that require longer access to your account, a brief extension can be granted. Please address your request to the helpdesk (firstname.lastname@example.org). You should include your reason for requesting the extension and the length of time it is desired.
HOW DO I Export my data?
If you want to transfer your emails to another Gmail address instead of downloading an offline archive, you can use Google Takeout’s transfer feature. Transfer works only for Gmail and Google Drive. Any other data, such as your contacts, must be exported manually or through Google Takeout. You can also check up on the status of your transfer.
How do I forward my Hamilton email to another account?
Once you have transferred your mail to your non-Hamilton account, it is wise to start forwarding incoming Hamilton mail to your other account at the same time. Remember though, that once your account deactivation date has arrived, your forwarding will stop. When forwarding is turned on it only forwards mail received from that point forward. To transfer mail previously received, please see the section above.
If you are a student who is about to graduate, when you set up your auto-reply (see next section) you can list an alumni.hamilton.edu address as the address to write to instead. It isn't a real email account but it will forward mail to another email account (e.g. gmail.com or yahoo.com). The "Connect" tab in My Hamilton will take you to lots of resources available to Alums and once you graduate, your Profile on the Connect page will also allow you to use email@example.com as an email address! (The you part is replaced with your current Hamilton ID.) When you edit your Connect profile (after graduation) you can enter the email account to which you want mail forwarded.
How do I set up an auto-reply that will send correspondents my new address?
To create an auto-reply message that will send correspondents your new email address, please refer to Google's help page .Graduates can list an alumni.hamilton.edu address that will forward mail to any account you designate (see section above).
NOTE: Your auto-reply will end when your email account is deactivated! The sooner you set this up, the better.
What happens to the files I stored on the Hamilton Server (ESS/SSS)?
If you have personal files stored on either the Employee server (ESS) or the Student Server (SSS), they will remain available to you via the "Files" tab in My Hamilton until your account is deactivated (faculty and staff) or until late August (graduates). Although the files you have stored on our servers are backed up, the backups are only retained for a few months. Therefore, the sooner you move your files off the server the better. If you need assistance moving your files, please contact the LITS Help Desk at 315-859-4181.
If you have questions regarding your Hamilton email account or your network files, please feel free to contact the LITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 315-859-4181.
Last updated: May 1, 2017