How To Create a Transaction Envelope
Step 1: Log into Key2Purchase.com
- The Organization ID for Hamilton College is THC.
- Each time you login on a new device or after you clear your browser history, you will be required to enter a security code. The security code will be emailed to your Hamilton email account.
Step 2: Create a transaction envelope
- Once you select your card number, you will be brought to the envelope create screen.
- Make sure the Organization is for the profile your card is setup with Trustees of Hamilton College Travel (for travel & VP cards) or Trustees of Hamilton College PCARD (for purchasing cards). If not, use the drop down selection box to change.
- Enter a name for the envelope. The name should be the Month and year, if you need to label with more detail please do so after the year.
- Select the date range you prefer Cycle, Month or Custom.
- At least one transaction envelope is required to be submitted for each billing cycle.
- Some travelers will want to prepare an envelope for the period corresponding with their statement cycle. Others may want to prepare for a specific period by using the custom option.
- For a custom period, select Custom under Date Range and you will be prompted to enter begin and end dates for the envelope. (This date cannot exceed the billing cycle dates)
The option to autofill envelope with transactions should be flagged so that all card transactions for the period are automatically included in the transaction envelope.
Click on Save.
Step 3: Review and code your transactions
- Upon saving your envelope, you will be sent to review and code your Transactions.
- If you scroll down the screen, all transactions posted to your card within the date cycle selected will be displayed.
- All of these transactions will be automatically entered into your envelope. They will be noted by a check box listed under the In Envelope column, as seen below.
- A default cost center may be prefilled, but can be modified by entering new codes or selecting from the drop down box, which is displayed by clicking Add.
- Default cost centers may be selected when applying for a credit card or by providing your preferred default cost center to Roxann Jeffers via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An object code (expense) must be added and this may be done by entering the four-digit code or by clicking Add and selecting from the drop box.
- Complete the Notes section with a description of the charge.
- Save your progress by selecting the Save button at the bottom of the page.
- Repeat this process for each transaction.
- Transactions may be charged to more than one account by highlighting the transaction and then selecting Split Transactions.
Step 4: Create out of pocket transactions (optional)
Key2Purchase cardholders may now add their out of pocket expenses to their transaction envelopes.
- Payments of these expenses will be paid approximately two to three weeks after the close of the statement cycle.
- Envelopes must be approved by your supervisor for prompt payment
To create a transaction, select the Create Out of Pocket Transaction button as seen below.
- The following screen will be displayed.
- If the Out of Pocket expense is not for mileage (Ad hoc), enter relevant information and click Save.
- If the out of pocket transaction is for mileage, select Calculated and then enter the number of miles.
- Click Save and the system will calculate the appropriate dollar reimbursement.
- This process may be completed for several Out of Pocket expenses.
Step 5: Addressing personal charges
If any portion of the transactions charged to your travel card were for personal rather than business, they should be backed out of the travel expense report by entering an Out of Pocket expense with a negative amount.
- The same account to which the card transaction was charged should be entered for the negative Out of Pocket expense.
- The positive and negative amounts entered for Out of Pocket expenses will be netted to determine the reimbursement due to or from you.
- Reimbursements owed to the College will need to be resolved before the next statement cycle
- Payments should be delivered to Roxann Jeffers with:
- Accompanying information to detail the exact transaction that was personal
- A completed deposit slip indicating the budget to which the transaction was charged.
- Checks can be made out to Trustees of Hamilton College
- Payments should be delivered to Roxann Jeffers with:
Step 6: Uploading Receipts
- Substantiating receipts must be uploaded for any card transaction of $20 or more.
- If travelers are requesting the meal per diem, substantiating receipts are not required.
- Original receipts showing what was purchased (rather than simple credit card receipts indicating a total amount) are required.
- Travelers may save each receipt as a separate pdf or may save copies of multiple paper receipts as a single pdf.
In order to upload receipts, select Receipts from options shown at the bottom of the screen as indicated below.
- You will be prompted to browse and then upload.
- A message will be displayed when the receipt has been successfully uploaded as shown below.
- Key Bank allows for several different file types that can be uploaded to a transaction envelope, as shown on the graphic above.
- There is also a maximum file size limit on each upload. The file size may not exceed 4096 KB.
- When scanning receipts it is helpful to use a lower picture quality to create a smaller file for upload.
- If your files exceed the file size limit then separate upload instances will be required.
Step 7: Submitting your envelope for approval
You may wish to print or save a copy of your completed envelope (travel expense report) for your records.
- Click on Print Envelope at the bottom of the screen.
- A screen will pop up allowing you to format the layout and include receipts, as shown below
- Click on download to save your file.
When you are ready to submit the transaction envelope for online approval, select Submit to Workflow as shown below.
- The system will display an error statement if the envelope contains errors such as no object code.
- Otherwise, a message will be displayed that the envelope has been successfully submitted.
- Your supervisor will receive an email notification to approve your envelope online.