Hamilton Password Manager
What is the Hamilton Password Manager?
The Hamilton Password Manager is a website that allows all employees, students, and faculty to manage their passwords from on and off campus. In addition, the Password Manager introduced new password complexity and renewal requirements to ensure better account security.
Changing your Password
The steps to change your password depend on the situation:
Once you have changed your password, please follow one or more of the links below, where applicable:
- Reconnect to the Hamilton secure wireless network
- Thunderbird users
- College-owned computer off-campus
- College-owned laptop Macintosh connecting only wirelessly
- College-owned desktop Macintosh requesting wireless password
- Resolving problems with Keychain Access on a Macintosh
- My account is locked. How do I regain access?
Once your Hamilton account password has been changed, you will need to enter this new password on any mobile device that you previously connected to the Hamilton secure wireless network (aps-hamilton), or on which you use an app to access your Hamilton email account. This must be done to prevent these devices from locking you out of your account as they continue to try authenticating with a now-invalid password.
iOS and Android (most smartphones and tablet devices)
Changing your password on mobile devices will vary based on the version of the operating system (OS) it uses and the cellular carrier (e.g. AT&T, Verizon, etc.). The goal is to force your wi-fi and apps that use your Hamilton password to prompt you to login again with your new password. In some cases, that may happen automatically and in others, you may have to remove the account or forget/delete the wi-fi network.
- Open the Settings and tap on Wi-Fi.
- Tap (iOS) or tap and hold (Android) aps-hamilton then tap Forget this network.
- Once you change your password, re-connect using the following instructions.
- If you have other devices and are not sure how to update the wi-fi settings, please contact the LITS Help Desk at 315-859-4181.
- If using a mobile app to access your Hamilton email or calendar, you will either be prompted to enter a new password or may need to delete and then re-add the account.
- You will be asked for the new password three times (once when retrieving mail, once when sending mail and once when performing an auto-complete).
- If you are also prompted to enter a password for the LDAP server (bud2c.hamilton.edu), enter your new password and then check the box below labeled Use Password Manager to remember this password. Then click OK.
After changing your password, you must connect to the Hamilton network using the VPN service. Once you've logged in to Hamilton via VPN, please do the following:
On a Windows computer
- Hold down the Windows key and press L to lock the screen.
- After the screen is locked, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to unlock the screen.
- Enter your new password.
On a Macintosh computer
- Open System Preferences, then click on Users & Groups.
- Click the padlock in the lower left-hand corner.
- When prompted, enter your new password. This will synchronize your new password with your computer.
- Close System Preferences.
If you have questions or need assistance with this process, call the LITS Help Desk at 315-859-4181 (M-F 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) or open a new ticket by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
No additional action is required, as we recently changed a setting that allows Mac laptop computers to automatically connect to the secure wireless network.
You will now see the Wi-Fi connection noted on your login screen.
If your desktop Macintosh computer has wi-fi turned on automatically, you will be asked to enter your new password for aps-hamilton.
If you do so, be sure to click the check box labeled Remember this information and then click OK. If you have no use for a wi-fi connection while you're on your desktop computer, it is alright to open the network preferences and turn wi-fi off. Please note that wi-fi will remain off, even if you reboot your computer.
If Keychain Access insists that you enter a password yet the password you entered is not working, these steps will reset your Keychain so that you can enter your new password.
If you use the Keychain application to store personal information (e.g. credit card numbers, passwords for non-Hamilton web sites, etc.) this procedure will create a backup of the old Keychain so that your personal data can be restored.
- From your desktop, click on the Go menu (located to the right of your Apple menu) and then select Utilities.
- In the Utilities folder, click to open the Keychain Access program.
- In Keychain Access, click on the Keychain Access menu (to the right of the Apple menu) and click on Preferences.
- It should open to the General tab. Click on Reset My Default Keychain. Enter your current password when prompted to do so.
- Click OK to acknowledge the notice that it created a new empty "login" keychain.
- Restart your computer and log in. Keychain should no longer complain about your password.
- If your wireless connection is lost on campus once your Keychain is reset, simply reconnect to aps-hamilton and enter your new password.
Entering your password incorrectly 5 times within 5 minutes from any device will cause your account to become locked. Your account will unlock automatically after 5 minutes. Your account can also be locked if LITS receives notice from Google that your account was compromised (hacked) and is sending out spam, or if you or LITS find other evidence to suggest your account has been hacked.
If you are locked out after too many login failures
It may be because you entered your password incorrectly or you aren't remembering it correctly. Please follow the instructions found here.
If your account was compromised
If your account was compromised (perhaps by supplying your credentials through a link in a phishing message or by other means) your account may be locked in the Password Manager and your password changed.
- Even if you aren't sure if your account was compromised, if you find that you are unable to login to your email or to Hamilton network services (e.g. My Hamilton, lab computers, WebAdvisor) and/or if you've attempted to log in to the Password Manager to reset your password without success, please contact the LITS Help Desk at 315-859-4181
Last updated: March 27, 2023