Your Hamilton College Electronic Resources Account
Welcome to Hamilton College! The information below is provided for those who are new to Hamilton College. We recommend you read through this entire page so that you will be fully informed. Until you receive your login ID and activation token, your access to Hamilton online resources is limited to those resources that are available to the general public. Once your account is activated, you may access many of our online resources from off campus. You may also preconfigure your mobile device(s) for our wireless network, however, you cannot connect to it until you are on campus.
Topics covered in this document:
- What your account will access
- Guidelines for account use
- Activating your account
- Changing your password
- Using your account
- Help Desk hours
Depending on your role at Hamilton, the account you were provided may be used for email, our wired and wireless network, logging in to Hamilton-owned computers, network printing, and a variety of web resources like My Hamilton, Blackboard, Citrix, and WebAdvisor. Your password is synchronized so that it will work with all the systems to which you have been given access (provided those systems are on the list of systems managed by the Hamilton Password Manager). At a minimum, faculty, employees, and students are given access to email, the network (wired and wireless), WebAdvisor, Blackboard (students & faculty) and printing.
Good account security depends on keeping your account ID and password private. If your password is easily obtained or discovered it puts the College network and all of your electronic resources at risk. It also means someone can engage in illegal activities on the Internet in your name.
You are encouraged to familiarize yourself with Hamilton’s guidelines and policies regarding the appropriate use of our network resources. In particular, you are encouraged to read the guidelines for passwords, electronic resources, and for sending mass email. If applicable, you may also wish to take advantage of our information technology New Employee Guide.
Prior to using your email account, it must be activated. This is a two-step process that begins with enrolling in the Hamilton Password Manager. Once you complete the enrollment process the second step begins when you log in to My Hamilton (our campus web portal) using your account Login ID and the password you created in the Password Manager. Instructions follow.
- Please start your account activation by going to the Hamilton Password Manager. Log in using the Login ID and Token you received from Hamilton College.
- In the Password Manager, you will create a password for your account that adheres to our Password Policy. You may wish to consult the policy before you start the enrollment process so that you have a password in mind.
- In addition to creating your new password, you must select, and then provide answers to, a handful of challenge questions.
- If you forget your challenge question answers: At your option, you may allow the Password Manager to text a code to your cell phone that can be used in lieu of the challenge questions. If you do not own a cell phone that can receive text messages, the answer you provide to the "semi-private security question" can be used by the LITS Help Desk to identify you over the phone.
- Answers to commonly asked questions are available.
- Once you have completed the enrollment process, you will arrive at My Hamilton. Here, you will log in using your Hamilton username (e.g. mjones) and the password you just created.
- Once you have logged in to My Hamilton, click on the link that appears across the top of the My Hamilton page (as illustrated below). From there, follow the instructions on screen that will guide you through the activation process.
You may change your password at any time by visiting the Hamilton Password Manager. Keep in mind that your email, network, Blackboard and WebAdvisor passwords are all synchronized to use the same password. Note that other accounts may be affected as well. A full list of systems that are managed by the Hamilton Password Manager is available. Please note that it is not possible to have different passwords for the accounts that are synchronized. If you are concered about this, it is possible to activate Google's "2-Step Verification" for your email account. Please note that if you enable 2-Step Verification, you will no longer be able to access your email and calendar through the My Hamilton portal. Instead, you will access them directly at http://hillconnect.hamilton.edu. It is also possible to use 2-Step Verification without your cell phone.
To access your email account
Once your account has been activated, you can access your email by logging in to http://my.hamilton.edu and then by clicking on “Read email”. This will require a second login. You can also log in to your email account directly by going to http://hillconnect.hamilton.edu.
To configure your mobile device for email and wireless access
To configure your mobile device for your email account, please visit the Syncing Your Mobile Device page. To configure your mobile device for our wireless network, please visit the Secure Wireless Configuration page.
To configure your personally owned computer for Hamilton's wireless network
To configure your personally owned computer for Hamilton's wireless network prior to your arrival or once you are here, you can also visit the Secure Wireless Configuration page.
If you experience problems with your Hamilton account, please call the LITS Help Desk at (315) 859-4181, email us at email@example.com, or visit us on the first floor of Burke Library.
LITS Help Desk Hours:
Summer: Late May - Late August, M-F, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Academic Year: Late August–Late May, M-F, 8:30 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday 10:00 a.m - 10:00 p.m. (except during breaks when our hours change to M-F, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)