Your Hamilton Account
This page contains legacy information.
The account information on this page is outdated. Current information for managing your Hamilton College account and credentials can be found on the College's Identity and Access Management page.
Last updated: November 26, 2023
Welcome to Hamilton College! The information below is provided for those who are new to Hamilton College.
Until you receive your login ID and activation token, your access to Hamilton's online resources is limited to those available to the general public. Once your account is activated, you must also turn on Google’s 2-step verification security feature to protect your account.
Your account will give you access to many of our online resources from on and off campus. If you activate your account from off-campus, you can pre-configure your mobile device(s) for our wireless network, but you will not connect to it until you are on campus.
Topics covered in this document:
- What your account will access
- Guidelines for account use
- Activating your account
- Securing your account
- Changing your password
- Using your account
- Help Desk hours
Depending on your role at Hamilton, your account may be used for email, our wired and wireless network, logging in to Hamilton-owned computers, network printing, and a variety of web resources like My Hamilton, Blackboard, Citrix, and WebAdvisor.
Your password is synchronized so that it will work with all the systems to which you have been given access (provided those systems are on the list of systems managed by the Hamilton Password Manager).
At a minimum, faculty, employees, and students are given access to email, the network (wired and wireless), WebAdvisor, Blackboard (students & faculty) and printing.
Good account security depends on keeping your account ID and password private. If your password is easily obtained or discovered, it puts the college network and all of your electronic resources at risk.
You are encouraged to familiarize yourself with Hamilton’s guidelines and policies regarding the appropriate use of our network resources. In particular, you are encouraged to read the guidelines for passwords, electronic resources, and for sending mass email. If applicable, you may also wish to take advantage of our information technology New Employee Guide.
Prior to using your email account, it must be activated. This is a two-step process that begins with enrolling in the Hamilton Password Manager. Once you complete the enrollment process, the second step begins when you log in to My Hamilton (our campus web portal) using your account Login ID and the password you created following the instructions below.
- Please start your account activation by going to the Hamilton Password Manager. Log in using the Login ID and Token you received from Hamilton College.
- In the Password Manager, you will create a password for your account that adheres to our Password Policy. Please consult the policy before you begin the enrollment process.
- In addition to creating your new password, you must select, and provide answers to, a handful of challenge questions.
- If you forget your challenge question answers: At your option, you may allow the Password Manager to text a code to your cell phone in lieu of the challenge questions. If you do not own a cell phone that can receive text messages, the answer you provide to the “semi-private security question” can be used by the LITS Help Desk to identify you over the phone.
- Answers to commonly asked questions are available.
- Once you have completed the enrollment process, you will arrive at My Hamilton. Log in using your Hamilton username (e.g. mjones) and the password you just created.
Securing your account
You are required to activate Google’s 2-step verification for your email account. Doing so will prevent cybercriminals from accessing your account, even if they possess your password. Instructions are available on our web site.
You may change your password any time via the Hamilton Password Manager. Keep in mind that your email, network, Blackboard and WebAdvisor passwords are all synchronized to use the same password. A full list of systems managed by the Hamilton Password Manager is available.
Please note that if you enable 2-Step verification, you will no longer be able to access your email and calendar through the My Hamilton portal. Instead, you will access these directly via http://hillconnect.hamilton.edu. It is also possible to use 2-Step Verification without your cell phone.
Accessing your email account
Once your account has been activated, you can access your email by logging in to http://my.hamilton.edu and then by clicking on Read email. This will require a second login. You can also log in to your email account directly by going to http://hillconnect.hamilton.edu.
Configuring your mobile device for email and wireless access
- To configure your mobile device for email, please visit the Syncing Your Mobile Device page.
- To configure your mobile device for wireless access, please visit the Secure Wireless Configuration page.
To configure a personally-owned computer for Hamilton’s wireless network
To configure your personally-owned computer for Hamilton’s wireless network, please visit the Secure Wireless Configuration page.
If you experience problems with your Hamilton account, please reach out to the LITS Help Desk via phone at (315) 859-4181, opening a new ticket by emailing us at email@example.com, or visiting us on the first floor of Burke Library.
LITS Help Desk Hours
- Summer (Late May - Late August)
- Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Academic Year (Late August–Late May)
- Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.; Sat/Sun 12:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Break periods
- Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.