Below are frequently asked questions about using Citrix. If you still experience difficulties using Citrix after reviewing the FAQ, contact the Help Desk (315-859-4181; firstname.lastname@example.org; Google Hangouts @hdtier1).
Last updated: August 27, 2021
Citrix doesn't work on my computer, but I need to use it right now. Help!
For any technical issues with using Citrix on your personal machine, contact the Help Desk (315-859-4181; email@example.com; Google Hangouts @hdtier1).
While waiting for a reply, you can access lab computers remotely and open the apps running through Citrix (e.g., SPSS, Stata). Follow the instructions below for remote computer access.
- If you are on campus, go to Step 2. If you are off-campus, connect to Hamilton's VPN first. Submit the VPN Request Form if this is your first time using the VPN.
- Go to http://keyserver.hamilton.edu/maps/. Click on the number at the Burke Library on the map.
- Follow one of the instructions below, depending on your computer's OS and the lab computer's.
- Open a web browser from the virtual computer, and go to https://citrix.hamilton.edu. Log in using your Hamilton credentials and open the app you want to use.
Which Citrix Workspace App should I install?
It depends on the type (e.g., MacOS, Windows, and Linux) and the version of your operating system (OS). Check your OS version from Mac or Windows PC as described below. Visit “Installing the Citrix Workspace Client” for more information. You can check your OS version by following the instructions below.
- Mac: Click the Apple icon on the Apple menu, and choose “About This Mac.”
- MacOS 10.15, Big Sur 11.01+: The latest app, as of September 17, 2021
- MacOS 10.14 and 10.13: Earlier versions > 2008
- MacOS 10.12 and 10.11: Earlier versions > 1906
- Windows PC: Press the Windows key + R, type "winver,"and press Enter.
- Windows 10 and 8.1: The latest app, as of September 17, 2021
- Windows 7: 2002
Once you figure out your OS type and version, go to https://www.citrix.com/downloads/workspace-app/ and download the Citrix Workspace App that is compatible with your computer.
I cannot download the Citrix Workspace App Installer from Citrix.
Below are our backup installers. Note that we recommend downloading the installer directly from Citrix, as Citrix keeps the latest versions of the installers. Use one of the following links only when you cannot download it directly from Citrix.
Mac Installer (compatible with MacOS 10.13, 10.14, and 10.15)
Windows Installer (compatible with Windows 8.1 and 10)
How do I know whether I have already installed the Citrix Workspace App?
For Mac users:
- Click “Applications” on the Dock panel.
- Find “Citrix Workspace.app” from the list of installed programs.
- You can also find the Citrix Workspace Icon in the upper-right corner of the top menu bar.
For Windows users:
- Open "Control Panel."
- Click the magnifying glass icon on the taskbar, and enter "Control Panel" in the search box.
- Click “Programs and Features” (or Programs).
- Find “Citrix Workspace” from the list of installed programs.
I cannot log into Hamilton's Citrix web portal (https://citrix.hamilton.edu).
- Make sure that you have set the Domain section correctly.
- Faculty/Staff: Choose "hamilton.edu."
- Students: Choose "students.hamilton.edu."
- Make sure that your Hamilton credentials are active (e.g., check whether you can access emails, log into Blackboard, etc.).
Contact the Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org, 315-859-4181) if the issue persists after checking the above issues.
I cannot launch a program (e.g., Stata) from Citrix after logging in.
- Make sure that you have installed the Workspace app.
- Check whether you can launch the app by following the steps below.
- Log in to https://citrix.hamilton.edu/.
- Click the gear icon on the upper-right corner of the webpage.
- Click “Account Settings.”
- Click “Install Citrix Receiver...”
- Click “Detect Receiver.”
- If the app is working properly, it will prompt you to open Citrix Workspace Launcher.
- If so, go back to https://citrix.hamilton.edu/ and re-try opening an app.
- Make sure that you have registered for Citrix.
- Visit https://www.hamilton.edu/applications/citrix or https://www.hamilton.edu/citrix.
- Click “Create my Citrix account” to register for Citrix. If you have already registered for Citrix, you should be able to see the following message. Click on the following image to expand it.
- It may take up to 10 minutes for the Citrix server to update your registration information.
If the issue is not resolved after checking the above steps, contact the Help Desk (email@example.com, 315-859-4181).
When I click on the app icon, it prompts downloading an '.ica' file.
Try the solutions below one at a time in the following order. If the issue is not resolved, contact the Help Desk.
If you need to use Citrix immediately, access one of the lab computers remotely. See the first question on this page to get the instructions.
- Make sure that you have installed the Citrix Workspace App and have registered for Citrix access.
- Uninstall the Citrix Workspace App and re-install the latest compatible app.
- Update your web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or MS IE/Edge).
- If you use Chrome, click the carat next to the downloaded .ica file. Check the box next to "Always Open Files of This Type."
I can launch a program, but cannot locate my drives (e.g., ESS/SSS) or files.
- Visit File Browsing & Drive Mapping from Citrix to learn more about different file locations.
- Check the default working directory for the apps running through Citrix. If you have saved your file while using an app but cannot locate it, the default working directory might be the first place to look at.
- For Mac users: "H:\Citrix\Documents” or "your Hamilton ID/Citrix/Documents" volume (if connected to SSS)
- For Windows users: "H:\Citrix\Documents”
- Remove any forward slash ‘/’ symbol in your file path. In general, Windows uses a backslash (\) for a file path (e.g., C:\User\your username\Documents).
Contact the Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org, 315-859-4181) if the issue persists.
I get a permission error when accessing my local drive's "Downloads" folder.
As a quick workaround, move your files to your Desktop and open the files from the location (This PC > C: > Users > username > Desktop). To fix the problem, please uninstall and reinstall the Citrix Workspace app. If you continue to have trouble after reinstalling the app, please contact the Help Desk (315-859-4181 or email@example.com).
My Mac keyboard shortcuts do not work properly while using an app.
Note that Citrix apps run on a Windows server, meaning that it is like running a virtual Windows machine. Therefore, we recommend using Windows’ keyboard shortcuts (e.g., Ctrl+C instead of Cmd+C to copy selected texts) while using the apps or modify your shortcut settings for the apps. This document summarizes the major differences between Windows and Mac keyboard shortcuts.
What happens if I lose my internet connection while using an app?
Because the Citrix system is like accessing a remote computer, you cannot use the app until you re-establish your connection. However, the remote session will continue in the background for up to 24 hours. The next time you connect within that 24 hours, your session will open in the same state it was when you lost their connection.
My program is not responding. How can I force quit and restart an app?
For Mac Users:
This is done from within the ‘Citrix Viewer’ app, and thus needs to be open first. You may need to launch a stuck/frozen app first to gain access. Click on the Citrix Viewer menu while holding down the Shift key, then choose ‘Sign Out and Quit Citrix Viewer’. This will terminate the remote session on the Citrix environment and quit the Citrix Viewer application.
For Windows Users:
An active connection to the Citrix environment needs to be active before you can follow these steps. You may need to try to launch the stuck app, or another, first.
- In the Windows system tray, find the Citrix Workspace icon, then right-click and choose ‘Connection Center.’
- In the Connection Center, select the server you can connected to (Citrix-0X), then click the Log Off button. This will quit any application you currently have open in Citrix.
If the issue persists, contact the Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org, 315-859-4181).
Any other questions?
For Citrix or file/drive mapping questions, contact the Help Desk (email@example.com, 315-859-4181).
For R, RStudio, and Stata app-specific questions or any feedback on this guide, contact R&ID (firstname.lastname@example.org).