Whether you are new on the job or are very familiar with the College, even simple tasks seem almost impossible when you don’t know where to begin. This page provides “how to” information regarding a variety of services and day-to-day needs of members of the Community.

To learn more about the role of individual offices on campus, visit the Offices and Services page to and navigate to the website for the particular office.

To place an on-campus call, dial the 4-digit campus extension listed for that office or person on the Hamilton College Directory.

To place an outside call, press 9 then dial the number you wish to reach. For calls inside 315, dial 9 then the area code and the number. For calls outside 315, dial 9 then 1, then the area code and the number. 

To place a call on hold, simply press the “Hold” button on your console. To reconnect the call to you, press the button for the line. 

To transfer a call to another extension or office, inform the caller you are transferring his/her call, press the “Transfer” button on your console, dial the desired extension number, announce the caller to the person to whom you are transferring, then press the “Transfer” button again to release the caller. If you wish to transfer directly into voice mail, press transfer, dial 4809 and the person’s extension number and transfer again. If the line you are transferring the call to is busy or there is no answer, press the flashing extension button on your console and the original call will come back to you. 

For more information on telephone and voice mail use and features, please visit LITS website or request a TIPSHEET from the Telephone Department by calling ext. 4160 or email telephone@hamilton.edu. The Telephone Department also handles all requests for telephone installation, servicing, repairs, etc. 

Hamilton’s Communications Office is responsible for overseeing the College’s editorial style and graphic identity system. Consistency and accuracy in our communications influence how Hamilton is perceived by its various external audiences. 

The Editorial Style Guide serves as a tool when writing or editing content, whether for publication or presentations. It is especially handy as a reference for common questions, such as how to cite titles, building names and academic programs.

The logo design of the Chapel cupola — with its unique quill weather vane — signals the College’s historical roots and our commitment to clear and effective oral and written communication. The consistent use of this logo with the Hamilton wordmark on stationery, brochures, banners, the website and wherever Hamilton College signs its name helps solidify our place with our many constituents. The College’s Graphic Identity Style Guide outlines the proper uses for the logo and wordmark and should serve as a guide as you help us present the College. If you have any questions, or to obtain printer-ready files of the logo, please contact the College Communications Office at viscomm@hamilton.edu

Please visit the Mail Center website for detailed information regarding Mail Center hours and services. 

On-Campus and External Mail Procedures 
Please separate mail into the following four categories and rubber band: U.S. mail, Canada and Mexico mail and all other international mail. 

Keep unsealed envelopes “nested” together, with the flaps open and like sizes and weights together (still separating U.S., international, etc.), with the exception of envelopes with flaps on the end. These cannot be sealed by our postage meter and should be sealed by you. 

If your name or department is not imprinted on the envelope, please print or type this information under the return address section. Otherwise, the Mail Center must open the envelopes to determine their origin for billing purposes. Notify the Mail Center of the budget line when charging mail to restricted or other special accounts.

On first and second day air envelopes, write your department name, or the department to be charged, under the reference number. 

All personal mailings will be on a cash, personal check, or Hill Card basis only. 

Overnight Mail 
The College has a contract with UPS for overnight mail. Overnight letters and packages must be at the Mail Center no later than 3 p.m. UPS supplies are available from the Mail Center. There are a few rural areas where UPS cannot guarantee overnight delivery. Only in this situation should Federal Express be used. 

The Print Shop provides copying and printing service to all offices on campus. Please visit the Print Shop website at for copyright information, Print Shop services and guidelines and the Print Shop Service Request Form

Copyright Notes: When copying from a book, we request that you provide us with a clean hard copy. We do not copy directly from books. On the first page you must provide us with copyright information, including the date of copyright and table of contents. 

Copying: Larger copy orders (100 or more copies) should be sent to the Print Shop for copying. A Print Shop Service Request Form must be filled out for all jobs. The Print Shop runs jobs on a first-come, first-served basis. It is recommended that you submit work at least 24 hours in advance. Larger jobs, such as course packets, involving handwork (folding, collating and/or binding) require more time. Please call ext. 4626 for time estimates. Most campus offices/buildings are equipped with satellite copiers where small copy jobs should be copied. Departmental copy codes must be used on all satellite copiers. This grants the user access to the copier and tracks the copy work for billing purposes. Copy code numbers for departments can be obtained from your department chair, faculty assistant, or the Print Shop. The Print Shop cannot supply this number to student workers. 

Color Copies: Color copies are available with the same processing time as other copy jobs. These are more expensive than black and white, so please call for a price quote or refer to the Print Shop website

Printing: The Print Shop also offers offset press production of booklets, brochures, invitations, business cards, letterhead and envelopes. The Print Shop Service Request Form should also be completed for each printing request. For details on printing orders, pricing, etc. refer to the Print Shop website or call ext. 4626. Printing jobs should be turned in with the expectation of at least one-week turnaround to allow for ink drying and finishing. Please contact the Print Shop if you have any questions. 

File Requirements: For copying and printing orders, we prefer clean, crisp hard copy or PDF files (at least 300dpi), but can also accommodate files from more common programs such as Word, Powerpoint, Excel, InDesign, Photoshop, etc. PDF files are preferred because some font styles are not supported by Print Shop computers. You can bring copy into the shop (hard copy or USB storage device) or send them as an email attachment. If the files are large, you can place them in our drop box on the ESS server. On PC’s you’ll find our drop box on the P-drive under “My Computer” and on Mac’s you can find the drop box in the “Campus” connection. Just scroll down and place a copy of your document in the Print Shop Dropbox folder. If you send copy via the drop box, also send an email with your service request form and details of your order (number of copies, paper size and color, binding, account number, etc.). Please be aware that the Dropbox is not available from off campus computers.

The Print Shop can also fill private orders (i.e. business cards, invitations, stationery, programs, etc.) although College work takes priority and we may not be able to provide this service during peak periods, especially the beginning and end of semesters. If you are new to campus, please stop in and say hello. 

If you need to order general supplies (i.e. lab supplies, computer software, books, etc.) for your office or department, you should fill out a Purchase Requisition form (pre-printed forms available from the Print Shop). Auxiliary Services will fax, email or mail the purchase order to the vendor. Indicate your preference on the requisition form. Please include the fax number or email address on the purchase requisition. 

Invoices for College purchases made on College purchase orders should be sent to Auxiliary Services to be processed for payment. Before sending the invoice, it should be coded with the budget line to be charged and signed by the appropriate department head. 

Major purchases, such as furniture, computers, fax machines, etc., can only be made if an appropriate equipment account has been established by the Vice President, Administration and Finance. These purchases cannot be made from the general operating budget. Even with an approved account number, these purchases must be made through Auxiliary Services using a College purchase order. If you need assistance in obtaining competitive pricing or assistance with any campus purchasing, please call ext. 4998. 

The College currently has an exclusive office supply contract with W.B. Mason. Requisitions and purchase orders are not needed to order office supplies. Office supply orders can be placed directly with W.B. Mason via their website. If you need a W.B. Mason account, please contact Auxiliary Services, ext. 4998. Your online W.B. Mason account allows you to charge your order to any budget line approved for your use. Reference the appropriate budget account when placing your order. Orders are delivered right to your office on Tuesday or Thursday. The sales representative from W.B. Mason visits campus as needed. Contact the Assistant Director, Auxiliary Services, ext. 4998, to schedule an appointment with the W.B. Mason representative or to obtain a W.B. Mason catalog. 

All copy paper should be ordered directly through W.B. Mason. In keeping with our sustainability initiative, we ask that campus offices only purchase 100% recycled content copy paper. Please see the W.B. Mason website for recommended papers. 

Department stationery and envelopes should be ordered directly from the Print Shop. Please contact the Print Shop at x4626 for additional information. 

Members of the Hamilton Community may make personal purchases from W.B. Mason and receive the benefit of the College's discount. The appropriate sales tax will be applied. Please contact the Assistant Director, Auxiliary Services, ext 4998, for ordering information.

Computer Repairs
To arrange for repair of computer equipment, contact CCNY Tech on campus ext. 4171. The repair shop is located on the third floor of Burke Library. 

Typewriter/Fax Machine Service 
Typewriters and fax machines are not covered under any maintenance agreement. Repairs are made on a time/materials basis. Please contact MacCopy if you have a fax machine that needs repair at 315-361-4342. Mohawk Typewriter and Office Equipment, Inc., will service typewriters but they do not pick-up or deliver. The typewriter must be brought to their Champlin Avenue, Utica, facility. Supplies for typewriters and faxes can be purchased through W.B. Mason. 

Copier Supplies
All copier leases include supplies (except staples). Supplies should be requested from MacCopy, 315-361-4342. Please plan ahead and have at least one ink/toner cartridge on hand at all times. 

Need something repaired? Furniture moved? The Physical Plant has an on-line Work Order System. If you would like to request regular maintenance or other services from the Physical Plant, please use the web-based work order form. As an alternative if you do not have access to email, call ext. 4500. 

Describe your work request in as much detail as possible. Include the building, room number(s), your phone number, and the type of work that is needed and identify you as the contact person. You must also have an account number available. 

Departments will not be charged for "regular maintenance" (e.g., repairing a faucet that leaks, replacing a light bulb, etc.) but will be charged for other services such as moving furniture, installing shelves, etc. Work outside regular maintenance will not be completed until a charge number is provided. Contact the Work Control Assistant, ext. 4500, if you are unsure whether you will be charged for a specific request. 

The mission of LITS is to empower students, faculty and staff to use information and technologies to engage in intellectual exploration, make informed decisions, and create and share knowledge. 

As employees of Hamilton College, the systems and services of LITS are available to you. Your Hill card serves as your library card, letting you check out books and other materials, request materials from other libraries, and access databases from off campus. LITS also offers a wide array of computing, library, networking, and telecommunications resources and services to members of the college community. The Circulation Department is available by telephone, 315-859-4479, or askcirc@hamilton.edu. The Help Desk is available by telephone, 315-859-4181, or helpdesk@hamilton.edu

For more information, please refer to the LITS New Employee Guide.

To avoid competing with events that are likely to draw a similar audience, check your proposed date/time on the calendar before you commit to an event date and time. The events open to the public, which includes off-campus guests, are displayed by default on the page. Choose "all events" from the blue drop-down menu to see events open to the Hamilton community.

To schedule a campus event, please see the scheduling procedures. If you have questions about reserving a space or scheduling an event, contact the Scheduling and Events Office at 315-859-4243 or collegeevents@hamilton.edu.

To arrange for catering of campus events, contact Bon Appetit, ext. 4985 or ext. 4975 or go online. There will be occasions where an outside catering contractor will be engaged to provide service for an event. This is believed to provide a competitive challenge to Bon Appetit to earn on-campus catering business with each and every catering event. 

Should you determine that an outside caterer is preferred; the College requires that a copy of the Oneida County Board of Health license and proof of liability insurance coverage be submitted in advance of any service. There will not be kitchen access available to outside caterers in any of the dining halls, the Little Pub or the Howard Diner as these kitchens are licensed by the Oneida County Board of Health to Bon Appetit only. If any liquor is to be sold, a copy of the special event liquor service catering license is required. Bon Appetit is the only approved liquor provider for The Little Pub. Copies of these documents should be sent through campus mail or faxed, ext. 4300, to the attention of the Senior Assistant Director, Auxiliary Services

To reserve overnight accommodations at the Bristol Center, call 315-859-4271 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., with the following information: guest’s name; anticipated arrival and departure dates/times and billing information. Student staff assistants are available to help with making reservations. 

The College has a working relationship with BTI Travel Consultants. For assistance with College or personal travel, they can be reached by calling (315) 472-7737 or by fax at (315) 472-2310. Their address is 124 E. Jefferson Street, Syracuse, NY 13202.

The College is exempt from federal and state taxes. The tax exemption applies to general purchases and travel support expenses. If you are traveling within New York State on business, it is possible to receive the tax exemption on all travel support expenses including lodging, meals and car rental expenses. A tax-exemption wallet card is issued with the corporate charge card. The College’s tax exemption number is imprinted on the credit card. 

When making any purchase on behalf of the College, please provide the vendor with a copy of the College’s tax-exemption form so that sales tax is not charged. Tax exemption forms are available online or from Auxiliary Services, ext. 4998. 

If an employee fails to obtain the sales tax exemption, the College will not reimburse sale tax paid on purchases over $100. The College has reciprocal tax-exempt status in several other states. Some restrictions apply. For detailed information, please visit the Auxiliary Services website

The College issues employee ID cards known as the Hill Card. The Hill Card may be used for library privileges, Fitness Center access, golf course access and admission to College events. The card also provides door access for card-access controlled buildings on campus. In addition, the Hill Card provides a safe, easy and convenient way to make purchases on campus through declining balance privileges at campus dining halls, the Diner, Cafe Opus, Euphoria Smoothies, the Box Office and the Barnes & Noble college store. New employees will be directed to the Auxiliary Services office to get their picture taken for their ID card as part of the orientation given by Human Resources. Employees should contact Auxiliary Services at x4974 to obtain Facility Access Cards for their spouses, partners and dependent children over age 12. This card is required if they wish to take advantage of Campus facilities. The replacement fee for a lost card is $20. 

Employees and their families may use athletic facilities of the College without charge, subject to regulations and schedules issued by the Physical Education Department provided such use does not interfere with physical education classes, intramural and intercollegiate sports and other scheduled student athletic activities. These facilities include tennis courts, golf course, squash and racquetball courts, swimming pool, ice skating rink, field house and fitness center. Children under 12 years of age who wish to use any of these facilities should be accompanied by an adult, unless they are participating in a college-organized recreation program, such as an instruction group in swimming or basketball. Older children should carry a Facility Access Card to avoid being confused with ineligible users. Employees and their immediate family members are authorized to use the Hamilton Golf Course during the summer. The Hill Card or Facility Access Card is required for access.

During the academic year employees may buy food at the Howard Diner, The Little Pub or at the Dining Halls in Commons or McEwen. An a la carte menu is available only at the Diner. The dining facilities accept payment via the Hill Card and cash. These food service establishments are operated by Bon Appetit and are normally closed when classes are not in session. 

Dining services are also provided by Café Opus (McEwen), Cape Opus II (Science Center) and Euphoria Smoothies (Sadove Student Center). These merchants accept the Hill Card and cash. Euphoria Smoothies also accepts credit/debit cards.


Human Resources

Office Location
Philip Spencer House

Help us provide an accessible education, offer innovative resources and programs, and foster intellectual exploration.

Site Search